Protective of Mail?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JustMe, Jun 28, 2013.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2013

I'm curious how others feel about mail.

We order a lot of things online—the vast majority of shopping is in fact through online purchases—so we get a lot of mail and packages. Obviously I like to be the one to open my packages, but...eh, no biggie if my husband does. Same for him. Many times we don't know what's in the box so that's going to happen. As for a paper mail, I open it all because I handle bills and that sort of thing.

I know others, however, would NEVER consider opening their significant other's mail and who would be upset it someone opened their items. So I'm just curious, how "protective" or not are you?

The reason I bring this up is because it was an issue with the family recently. To make it short and sweet, my parents opened my kid sister's mail regarding school and she flipped out because it was "her" mail. I would say her reaction was to take the spotlight off of the contents of the letter (not great) and not so much that she felt violated. But that brings me to another question: Do you and would you read your children's mail and if so under what circumstances?

3. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jun 28, 2013

I wouldn't read my adult children's mail. If they were minors and I thought it was something I needed to know I would.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2013

We make piles..depending on to whom each piece of mail is addressed.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 28, 2013

Is it a criminal offense to open other people's mail or does it not apply to minors?

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2013

Not sure.

I think my parents were 100% in the right all things considered.

7. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2013

My wife opens 90+ % of all mail ....... unless it specifically says "Major", and is from an address she doesn't recognize....... She opens all "bills"..... she is the one who pays the bills.

Magazines such as American Handgunner, Handguns, Guns and Ammo, Soldiers of Fortune, Sports Illustrated, and various business magazines, etc are placed in my pile........

My wife is highly organized ......... I'm not. (Separating mail is difficult for most men ..... :p)

8. Math

Math Cohort

Jun 28, 2013

Well, I have a grandmother who opens up mail if she believes it is some form of money. She has done this for years. She does it to her children who are grown but live in her home. She owns an apartment building and they rent a section. Yet, she gets the mail first so she looks through all of it. She doesn't quite care either. My sister used to live with her and she was fed up with her. She eventually was to the point where if my grandmother opened her mail again she was going take action. I believe she said, "If she can do the crime, she can do the time." :)
    I know my parents do not open my mail even though I am not a minor. They would always let me open my mail. If they want to see it they just stand next to me as I open it. Then ask me what it is or ask to see it. I do not mind sharing what comes in the mail.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 28, 2013

With my parents, neither of them cared if the other person opened each other's mail. My mom's really the only one who opens it anyway. When I lived with my parents, they never cared if I opened any of theirs either. My mom didn't really open any of my mail.

If my BF & I got married, I think it would take getting used to him having me open his mail.

I think when a couple's married, there shouldn't be anything to hide...no email passwords, any other log-ins for anything, etc. because there should be nothing to be a secret from one another. Therefore, each spouse shouldn't care who opens or looks at what.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 28, 2013

If my nosey grandma was opening my mail I think I would either move or just get a PO Box. Geesh!

11. Math

Math Cohort

Jun 28, 2013

Oh, yup, my sister did move. :) Yet, some of my grandmother's children still live there. I guess it doesn't bother them too much. Even though they are cursing up a storm when they know she opened their mail.

12. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2013

I pretty much open all the mail. I wouldn't like it if my husband opened a package that was for me. Not because of privacy, but just because I love getting packages and opening them! My husband doesn't care if I open his mail.

13. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jun 28, 2013

I'm usually the one who gets the mail and opens it. I will only open mail to my husband if it is bills, or if it is a package I am expecting. I order a lot of things through his eBay account, so they usually come with his name on them.

14. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2013

I don't care who opens the mail, and neither does my husband. We don't open each others packages (it's fun to open packages).

However, there aren't many surprises...my husband is a mailman and delivers our mail!

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 28, 2013

We don't care about mail either but don't open each others packages. There have been times when I had something delivered to me but really was to be wrapped and given to someone else in the household OR I gave it to them but I wanted to see them open it. If they went ahead and opened it then I wouldn't get to be a part of that surprise. This is especially true around holidays.

16. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jun 29, 2013

I open most of the mail at our house - just a habit we got into. If something has my daughter's name on it, I save it for her to open. My son's stuff gets opened in case it is time-sensitive and I need to call him about it. My husband's mail gets opened because otherwise it never would!

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2013

Everyone opens their own mail. The only exception is when the kids are away at school; if mail comes for them, I'll email or text them, telling them where it's from and asking them if they'd like me to open it.

18. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jun 29, 2013

We wouldn't get enraged or anything if someone opened someone else's mail in my household--odds are it would be an accident because we do what others have mentioned, divide into piles, and sometimes things get in the wrong pile. One time my husband accidentally opened a sealed transcript for me that I was sending off to someone else--I was not too happy about that one :(

My husband and I are the only ones who USUALLY get mail because we're the only adults. If our 5 or 2 year old get mail, which has happened on occasion, I WILL open it on the spot if it's a solicitation, company, or unrecognized person/address. If it's a birthday card or something, I will let them open it.

I LOVE packages too. I am a major shopaholic so I usually have 2-3 packages a week.

19. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2013

We make piles. I always put "Resident" mail in BF's pile.

My name and my dad's name have the same first three letters. We accidentally opened each other's mail a lot when I lived at home. No biggie. The worst was when it was addressed to First Initial Last Name. We had to guess who it was for :lol:.

For school communications, I always address it "To the parents of..." so that there isn't any confusion. Doesn't stop some kids from intercepting it, but still, I make my intentions for the letter clear.

20. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Jun 29, 2013

We all open our own mail here. My parents will open my bills once I move. My address will change every so many months so I'm just giving them the money for my bills and they'll pay them while I'm gone.

We fight over who opens the free promotion pens my dad sometimes gets for his business. Finders keepers. They are nice pens!

21. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 29, 2013

We both open the mail, neither of us minds. I do not open packages or cards, everyone enjoys opening those! When my kids get older I will let them open their own, but in front of me :D

22. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 29, 2013

Maybe she wants them to get mad and move out! They could all go in together on one PO box ;)

23. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2013

:lol:

24. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 29, 2013

A substitute teacher in my classroom opened my scholastic order one day. I was gone for a few consecutive days and she is a good family friend. She opened the box and then realized what she was doing and stopped. She felt SO bad about it! It was kind of funny!

25. bison

bison Habitué

Jun 29, 2013

BF and I have no issue with it, but we also rarely have reason to open the other person's mail. We split up the bills by paying different utilities (I pay gas, he pays electric, etc) and it's all online anyway. Sometimes I will open something if I'm not sure if it's junk and should be thrown out, and he doesn't care. We leave packages for the owner because opening packages is too fun to have someone else do. :D

I still get some mail back at my mom's house, and I don't like when she opens it unless I ask her to. She does open mail that come from the DMV or similar places that could be time sensitive, which I don't mind. I don't really have anything to hide, but I don't like her opening it and it usually means she'll forget to give it to me!