Protecting Books in Classroom Library

Discussion in 'General Education' started by DreamToTeach, Jul 29, 2009.

1. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Jul 29, 2009

I have many books in my classroom library collection that have a dust jacket. I would like to protect them somehow. I don't want to just take them off because I am hoping the interesting covers will get kids to pick them up. I remember reading last year about a better way to cover softcover books to protect them from wear. Instead of tape or contact paper, it was suggested to use some material that they carry at home improvement stores. That's all I remember. Can anyone help me? :help:

3. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Jul 29, 2009

4. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Jul 30, 2009

Wow. There are so many types I'm not sure what I would need. I'll look again when I have a bit more time. Have you liked a particular product? Thank you so much!!

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2009

The laminating rolls look like they'd work really well.

6. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 30, 2009

At the International Reading Assoc Conference there was a vendor who had this laminating TYPE stuff for books. I'll try to find his website.

But when he showed it to me...and demonstrated by doing a book (rather quickly)...and then *I* tried tearing the cover - and couldn't...i started to think of all the money i have ALREADY put into my classroom library preparation...and how the books in my cooperating teacher's library were SO badly ruined.

If you are going to make an investment in your library...you should invest in KEEPING those books in decent shape. For YEARS...not months.

Hmmmm....gotta find that guy's site again.

7. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 30, 2009

I've used the contact paper for years and my books have held up wonderfully. I didn't know there was anything else available.

McKennal, I'll check back here for your site, thanks!

8. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Jul 30, 2009

Honestly, I am trying to purchase only hardcover books for our library when possible because they are so much sturdier. For the hardcovers with a dust jacket, I use the Durafold Book Jacket covers on the Demco site. You just slide the dust jacket between a clear sheet and a paper backing and fold. Very easy.

For paperbacks, I think the most inexpensive way to protect them would be to use clear contact paper. I'll keep checking back to see what other suggestions you get.