Prospective Western Governors student

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by Nailbiter, Dec 25, 2007.

1. Nailbiter

Nailbiter Rookie

Dec 25, 2007

So, I've been looking for an online school to get my bachelors (I have an associates) and it seems like Western Governors is one of the few that offers a bachelors in education and is not a scam. I've noticed that some of the posters here are students there, so I wanted to ask some questions about the program and get answers from people, who, you know, don't work there.

I currently work full time as a primary school assistant (monitoring recess and lunch time) and after school counselor at a private school (in charge of the 1st and 2nd graders). Ultimately, my dream would be to continue working at this school but as a full fledged teacher, because I love this school and what they do. I want an online university because:

1. I want to keep working.
    2. I hate driving.
    3. I'm on the computer a lot anyway, might as well be doing something useful instead of browsing YouTube.
    4. When I was in school, my favorite part was always doing my own research and writing papers.
    5. With the Hollywood writers' strike seeming to have no end in sight, pretty soon there won't be anything good on tv anyway so I'll have lots more free time.;)

I'm confused about a couple of things about applying and attending WGU.
    Am I supposed to fill out the financial aid form before I apply to the school, or after I get accepted, or do both applications at the same time?
    If I get a Pell Grant, does the money go straight from Pell to the school, or does Pell send me a check and I pay the school?
    Does WGU let you pay a monthly bill, or is it the full tuition up front? (If it's the full amount up front, and I don't get a Pell Grant, I'll have to save it up first, since I have no credit card.)
    Is the bachelors program just a bachelors degree, or is it a combination bachelors/certification program? If so, is it possible to get a bachelors without the certification and then get the certification some other way?

They advertise the school as a good fit for working adults, but when you do your student teaching don't you have to take several months off from work? How in the world do you pay your bills during that time?
    Also, what are the chances they place you in a school that is really far away from where you live and you have to move? Do you get any choice at all in your student teaching placement?

Thanks to anyone who has answers for me!

3. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Dec 26, 2007

I can help you out a bit. I'm in the post grad program for teacher licensure. Here's what I know:

1) They want you to fill out the financial aid packet along with your application. That way if you are accepted and qualify for financial aid you can start using the financial aid funds for your first tuition payment.

I'm paying for mine outright so I can't give any information on Pell grants.

2) From what I gathered from the homepage they offer a BA with certification. I do not see any BA for liberal arts or such, so it seems to me that you would graduate with your teaching certificate. If you're hoping to get just your BA and then apply to an alternate certification program I don't think that is how they work but others may have more information on that.

3) Student teaching is what it is. Whether you're attending a brick and mortar school or an online school, states require student teaching. Yes, it is difficult to work while accomplishing this and they highly recommend that you either quit your job or take a leave of absence. Student teaching can be anywhere from 3-4 months long depending on your state requirements. The school does suggest that individuals save, save, save for student teaching so they can cover their bills during this time. Personally, I don't know how others do it but where there is a will, there is a way.

4) When you apply for Student teaching you give WGU the information on the district you want to student teach in. They also ask for your preferences in a school within the district as well as a teacher. That's not to say that you will get that school or teacher, but they make every effort. I guess whether or not you have to move would depend on the size of your district and whether or not you want the commute if it's fairly far away. It sounds like a wishy-washy answer but nothing is completely guaranteed.

I hope that helps some. I'm sure others will chime in with more info.

4. Nailbiter

Nailbiter Rookie

Dec 26, 2007

Thanks! I would ultimately love to work at the school where I work now, but it's a private school. I've never seen student teachers there, so I guess they don't do that. So I would be best just picking a district near me, I suppose?

5. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Dec 27, 2007

I'm pretty sure private schools are out. Not all require certified teachers and I'm sure they want you to work with certified teachers. The school also doesn't particularly like students to student teach in schools where they worked or their children attend.

I think the district you live in or one close by is a best bet.

6. Nailbiter

Nailbiter Rookie

Dec 27, 2007

I don't think my school does require certification, especially since they have teachers from all over the world and some countries have very different programs for becoming a teacher. They do require a bachelor's but it doesn't have to be in education. I picked the bachelor's in education from Western Governors because it looked like WGU is the only really accredited school online and they don't seem to have an English or an Art major. Maybe WGU has a Bachelor's only, non-certification option. I'll ask.

7. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Dec 27, 2007

OK pell grant information..
    they send the pell grant right to the school and if anything is left over it goes to you.

it sounds to me like you would do well at WGU. I work full time, and its perfect fit

8. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

Dec 28, 2007

I wanted to add that you can get a B.A. without certification. It's not really advertised, as a matter of fact I don't even think it's on the website. But it's a Bachelor's in Education and does not require any student teaching or classroom work. The BA W/ certification is a Bachelor's in Interdisciplinary Studies. (Assuming you're going for Elementary school).

9. Nailbiter

Nailbiter Rookie

Dec 28, 2007

Thanks! I may do that.