Prospective Roommate ....need to vent!!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by deedee, Oct 4, 2007.

1. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Oct 4, 2007

:confused:OK so we live on campus and we are in a four person apt. but only have three room mates. Yesterday I got a call from ResLife that said we would be getting a room mate this weekend. Once I owned out who it was a few of my education friends had told me that they knew she was moving in to your apt before I did. The issue comes from why she is leaving her current apt. From what I gathered her current room mate found her in bed with her boyfriend. So needless to say they can no longer room together. I am in class with both of these girls but BARLEY know them. Hello/good bye thats it!!! She picked our apt because I was the only name that she recognized. My room mate is in Russia right now and once she got word of what happened she was really mad because she is friends with the other girl and doesnt want her to move in. I'll admit I have my own concerns , she parties , we dont, she sleeps around and brings random people back to the apt, we dont and really dont want that kind of person living with us. So all of a sudden I am in the middle of a huge thing and the kicker is I really dont even know these people at all!! I realize this may seem a bit silly but I have found my self in the middle of a bad situation and really dont know what to do. My thinking is that we shouldnt make mountains out of mole hills ....lets she how she is and then deal with her moving agin if need be ...

Ughhh!!! thats all i can say

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2007

I don't have advice for you :sorry:, but needed to say that I really shouldn't have read this post. I spent my lunch hour (40 minutes) today researching residence opportunities at some of the universities my son is considering attending next year. :eek:

I hope someone has some good suggestions for you--hope all works out.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2007

Is there someone that you and the other roomies can approach about your concerns? I would think that they would want to get the best possible fit and if she does stuff totally opposite of you and your roomies, then everyone will be miserable. This is why I never roomed with anyone until I met my hubby.

5. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Oct 4, 2007

We got stuck with a roommate like that for one semester when I was in college. Similar situation. She partied too much, slept around, etc. We didn't , and had NOTHING in common with her. It wasn't always fun or pleasant, but we got through it until the end of the year. Good luck is all I can say I guess.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2007

So you need some PERSPECTIVE on your PROSPECTIVE roommate? Don't go on rumor and innuendo. She might have learned her lesson from the last experience. When she shows up, fill her in on the 'culture' you and your current roomies have developed.

7. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Oct 4, 2007

After living in the dorms my freshman year, a sorority house for 2 years with 100 girls and having 2 other roommates my senior year I've learned a lot about roommates...

If your residential program placed her with you then I bet it's hard to go back on it. When she moves in you'll just have to have a roommate meeting. Go over the ground rules you already had in place (no random guys sleeping over (stay it his place), quiet around 11pm, no loud noises before 9am, etc, etc). Maybe she won't like living there either and will move out. I would think she would be feeling awkward moving in with 3 people that have been living together. Like you said, see how she is when she gets there and go from there.

It will be interesting to see what she says if/when you ask why she changed living situations...

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 4, 2007

Just like in teaching, you need to set the tone from day one. Tell her the rules and be firm and strict and consistent! What a great way to practice being a teacher :D

9. annafish

annafish Companion

Oct 5, 2007

I understand your concerns, but you really should give her a chance. Like someone else said maybe she learned from her mistakes. Just because somebody does certain things doesn't make them a bad person. If she is bringing strangers over to your place, then tell her to please go to their place instead. See if she respects that.

10. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 5, 2007

DeeDee, if she is that bad, chances are after rooming with you and your friends for a bit she will learn how different her lifestyle is from yours and want out of there anyways. Just make sure you and the others put their foot down about things and make sure everyone is respecting each other's personal space and living conditions. I like the idea of a roommate meeting, and I think if you just keep on top of things, everything will work out, whether that means her leaving sooner or later or her staying.

11. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Oct 6, 2007

thanks for all the support and advice ...she is moving in as we speak and I am praying that everything works out ....she has yet to say a word to us and has been here for an hour. When I said hello she smiled and walked away ...!!! trying to stay positive , trying to stay positive .....

we are in honors housing so the noise thing is a building rule and we are going to sit down and work out all the details ...

I just hope her and my roomie (whose in russia) will be able to get along when we are all living together come jan!

12. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Oct 6, 2007

I asked why and she said ....irrepriable differences ..they just cant live together anymore! HA!

13. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Oct 7, 2007

Did you say... "Oh, because you slept with her boyfriend? Yeah, I would consider that an irrepriable difference..."

Hahaha!

14. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Oct 7, 2007

LOL I had to bite my tounge not to say anythiing ..:lol::lol: