pros and cons to getting married during the school year

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Elcsmith, Apr 20, 2008.

1. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

May 28, 2013

For me, personally (obviously everybody is different). I would prefer to marry in the summer if I was in a situation like that. That way I could get married, go on my honeymoon without worries, and come back and be able to get settled in the house and such rather than returning straight to work (esp. since teaching is no 9-5 job). And it is pretty important to me to go on my honeymoon right after the wedding. Just seems more special that way; getting away and enjoying being together rather than *just* a vacation

2. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 28, 2013

The only reason I noticed was because I was thinking "I don't remember this title. 4 pages is awfully long for one school day!" Then I looked at the date.

3. Lobo

Lobo Rookie

May 29, 2013

I'm sure glad this post has been revisited. I'm getting married October 6. I'm taking 2 days off but im not sure what to do on the name issue. I'll be teaching kindergarten, which might be a difficult change for the kiddos but I want to use my new last name.

4. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

May 30, 2013

I changed after I got married. I just explained the situation to my kids (although this was 4th), and my teaching partner even did a little announcement when I returned and the kids were super cute about it. They introduced themselves to me as if I was a new person! I also made it clear that I wasn't going to get mad if they accidentally called me by my maiden name-some kids worried it would slip and I'd be upset.

My P suggested just starting off the year with my new name. I knew I was going to get married, but it felt weird going by my married name before the wedding, like I was going to jinx something! Totally illogical, I know, but I just didn't feel right about it.

5. bison

bison Habitué

May 30, 2013

I would either start the year with the new name, or wait until the following year. Especially for kinder.

6. Lobo

Lobo Rookie

May 30, 2013

The comical part of the whole situation is that I've been at the school for 8 years. When I started there, I wasn't married so my student teaching class called me by my maiden name Ms. S. I got married the following year and became Mrs. V. I got divorced three years later and am back to Ms. S. Four years later and I'll be Mrs. L. So depending on the grade level, my name is something different. It's funny when kids who are now in 5th and 6th grade come up to me and call me Mrs. V and my current class says, "who is that?"

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 30, 2013

I'm not married yet, but I'd tend to want to get married when I want to, NOT according to my work schedule. I personally HATE sweltering summer weather anyway, so I wouldn't want one of the most important days of my life to be hot, sweaty, uncomfortable, etc. Maybe in April/May right before we're out for summer & the weather's nice, but not too hot yet. Then, I'd soon have the summer off for the honeymoon & not have to wait so long.

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 30, 2013

I'm getting married on September 28th. I love fall, and I was not about to let my job dictate when one of the most important days of my life was going to take place! Here are some of the things I considered:

-A lot of the work you do leading up to the wedding takes places 1-3 months before (invitations, seating charts, etc.). I will have my whole summer to plan! If I had a spring or summer wedding, I would be planning like crazy during the school year.
    -I will start the year right away with my married name. My email will still reflect my old name, but I will communicate this with parents. No big deal.
    -I am taking a personal day the Friday before and the Monday after. I already have my sub lined up and she is AWESOME, so I'm not worried.
    -We're going on our honeymoon during spring break in March. By then we will be just dying to get away from our Wisconsin winter!

Two of my co-workers got married last October, and they didn't have any regrets. It's a beautiful time of year. :)

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 30, 2013

OMG I just noticed the date...! Hah, I wouldn't have replied otherwise. :)

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 30, 2013

It's nice that so many of you have ample personal days that allow you to take so much time off during the school year. First year teachers in my district don't get any personal days. Even veteran teachers may not always have personal days, depending on how many sick days they used the previous year. I'd hate to have gone to all the trouble and expense of planning a mid-year wedding only to discover that I didn't have the time off.

11. Lobo

Lobo Rookie

May 30, 2013

We are given 3 personal days up front and then we earn a sick day per month.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 30, 2013

Presumably you wouldn't be able to use sick days for a wedding, though.

13. Lobo

Lobo Rookie

May 30, 2013

No but you could in theory. Actually I use sick days over personal days since I don't have to give advanced notice for sick days.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 30, 2013

If you were in my district and used sick days when you weren't really sick or caring for a sick family member, you could be fired. There's no "in theory" about it. Just sayin'. I know other districts are different, but I'm sure that plenty others are like mine in that respect.

15. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 30, 2013

Mine is. My principal would not approve time off for a honeymoon during the school year. We get two personal days, but they are "urgent" personal days. Like, for if you get into an accident on the way to work, or wake up and your fence is down, or your house is flooded or something.

If we're out for a reason that is not being sick, we must take unpaid days. Taking those days screws with your retirement, so people try to avoid taking them. Sure, people abuse the system, but if they get caught they get at best a note in their file, and at worst a write up. I have never taken a sick day without being so sick I could not get out of bed, or having a medical appointment. Now, I have taken a sick day for a medical appointment, and gone to a late lunch and shopping after, but that's only been a couple of times when I had a lot of errands. Usually I just take a half day for medical appointments.

16. Lobo

Lobo Rookie

May 30, 2013

We are not allowed unpaid days. We accumulate the sick days over time and they are used for a variety of reasons. Basically, if you have the time built up, you're allowed to use it in any way you choose. The only time we are not allowed to take sick without approval is before or after a holiday.

17. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

May 30, 2013

That's how it is in my district, too. No one really cares what you use your sick days for as they build up--as long as its within reason and not abused. If we take more than 10 days in a year, a note goes on our evaluation stating how many days we were absent on sick leave. My P would have no problem with someone using sick leave to supplement the 3 personal days we get if they wanted to go on a honeymoon.