Pros and Cons of opting out?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Aliceacc, Sep 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Sep 8, 2013

One thing I thought of also was what happens to the teachers if kids who score well opt out. Yikes.

But, I'm pro her opting out personally. She had every right to be upset. I think you should make it clear to her that tests aren't bad though, because you don't want her to have permanent anxiety about tests. She's going to have to take them, and also pass them, at times in her life. What's horrible is the school's reaction to her testing. That's what you're against. I shouldn't get on my soap box but I hate that my subject gets attacked by this stuff and kids who are passionate about music and art have their opportunities to learn about it taken away from them because apparently math is more important for them?!?! What if they're going to become an artist? Why do people who don't know these kids get to say how they learn and what's important for them to learn? UGh. I've said this before but one size does not fit all. I'm not against standardized testing to see how our teaching is going but we're taking things way too far.

**pantpant**

2. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Sep 8, 2013

To me this is backwards. I feel like his score would be lower on the new tests since they are much harder.

3. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Sep 8, 2013

Nowhere does she mention that she only wants the child to take the test that gives her child his "highest score."

She seems to want the test to reflect what he actually knows, which involves higher level thinking questions that the PARCC is supposed to include (or whatever CCSS assessment her state comes up with).

4. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Sep 8, 2013

Yes, I imagine a lot of people may think they want that...but when they see the scores, I would imagine they would sing a different tune.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2013

Thanks, that's exactly what I'm going for.

She's 13.. she's taken tests since she was 5 and NEVER,, EVER have the results of a test made her feel badly about herself. Because never, ever before did the result of a test lead to such a drastic action. It's as though she's being punished for being part of the 70% of the state who failed. (Can I mention again that 70% of NY failed this test?????)

I'm not anti-standardized testing... I've spoken here many times about all the good uses for it and the information it provides. But the school district has taken one tiny bit of information, and extrapolated it to ridiculous levels.

I'm not going to let them do it to her twice. If I'm not going to advocate for my kids, then who do they have??

6. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Sep 8, 2013

I wonder if the authoritarian moderators here silence students who offer contrarian opinions (well couched in facts and logic, mind you) in the classroom as well? I'm guessing they do, and that the critical thinking skills of their students suffer as a result.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 8, 2013

Only when they are rude.

8. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Sep 8, 2013

Rude is such a subjective term; in fact, we've proven recently that "disagreement" is considered rude on this board where hugs are the only acceptable result of discussion.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 8, 2013

As I posted earlier today, posts that contain insults are usually removed.

10. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Sep 8, 2013

Such as?

11. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Sep 8, 2013

I agree. If we think the teacher crying is bad now, wait till we get more authentic tests, it is going to be deafening.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2013

You have a habit of calling others' posts irrelevant, commenting on what is relative and subjective. Anyone can say such things about almost any statement, but it's not productive or helpful. One wonders what your agenda is, Dave...it seems to be to cause discontent, divisiveness and to just engage in general contrary, trollish behavior. I hope you are enjoying yourself.:dizzy:

Alice... It almost seems the tests are a set up. NY did very badly on last years exam...we are suspecting more PAARC type questions than NJ had...my P thinks this all too shall pass when you consider that many districts don't have the technology required to fully implement PAARC. These are uncertain times with such things, but there are still gat things happening in classrooms, kids are learning, teachers are making differences...these tests just don't necessarily measure those things in ways that we know they are occurring.

13. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Sep 8, 2013

Talk about being rude, calling someone trollish and sarcastically asking if he is enjoying himself.

It is obvious what his intent is. He has topics in education that he has strong opinions and feelings for and actually wants to engage in discussion, not drive by statement posts.:dizzy:

14. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Sep 8, 2013

My supervisor said the same...SGOs and PARCC and new evaluations...she's seen it all come and go many times, and expects the same to happen here.

We hired no new admin. Last year she was responsible for 1 observation per year for tenured staff and 3 for non-tenured. There are about 25 math teachers between the MS and HS for her to observe. Now she has to do 3 for tenured and 3 for non-tenured, as well as approve and monitor all of our SGOs. PLUS we are doing PLCs in full-gear (last year was more informal/experimental) Something's gotta give with all this.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2013

Mods, feel free to close the thread. It's stopped being helpful.

I'll get my information elsewhere.

Thanks anyway to those who helped.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2013

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.