Pros and Cons of M.A.T

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by SeaMonkey, Sep 23, 2014.

1. SeaMonkey

SeaMonkey New Member

Sep 23, 2014

Hi, all. I am new here and unsure if this is the proper place to ask this question, but just let me know.

I am about to receive my Bachelor's degree in English this December. I have recently decided I want to become a high school English teacher. I have been weighing my options between:

1. Applying to the M.A.T English Education program at my school to start right away this Spring and

2. Taking the alternative certification route (I live in Florida) by getting a temporary certification and simply trying to get hired.

I am unsure if it would be better to just start applying to vacancies with only my Bachelor's and no student teaching experience (a former teacher told me it is possible to get hired this way and therefore ensure that I actually like teaching before I spend thousands of dollars getting a Master's in it) or if I should pursue the M.A.T in order to not waste time and be certain that I am doing something toward my future as a teacher in case I cannot get hired right away.

Do any of you have input onto which route you think would benefit me more? Do you think anyone would even consider hiring a new teacher with no classroom experience? (If so, what should I do to make my application stand out?) Do you think it would be wise to jump into a graduate degree with no classroom experience?

Thank you for your responses!

3. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Sep 25, 2014

if m.a.t is cheap go for it

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 26, 2014

There is no harm in applying for jobs now. You could surprise yourself and end up employed. AR is cheaper, allowing you to choose the field for a masters after you know what you want to know more about. Just a thought. You can still apply for spring admission, just to be safe. :unsure:

5. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Sep 26, 2014

Get hired where exactly? I don't know what state you're in, but you can't get hired without certification here. Even a majority of the private schools here look for certification. It sounds like you'll just have a BA in English.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 26, 2014

In NJ, all he needs to do is pass the right Praxis exams to be able to obtain his CE. Depending on where he is, you can make that the Texas teacher exams, the Florida teacher exams, etc. I would not have ended up with my MED in ESL had I gone for the masters first. I am sure that I would have gone after more biology, but in the grand scheme of things, I have plenty of science, and the ESL really is important to the students I am receiving in my classroom.

7. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Sep 26, 2014

statistically you will quit after 3 yrs; go with what is versatile. do you have teaching exp.? an mat with full year internship will make you a better teacher. dealing with evaluations/standards is its own hassle, an mat prepares you for it. apply to mat programs and jobs; talk to graduates of your mat school...hear their advice

8. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Sep 26, 2014

Do you think anyone would even consider hiring a new teacher with no classroom experience? (If so, what should I do to make my application stand out?) Do you think it would be wise to jump into a graduate degree with no classroom experience?

Thank you for your responses![/QUOTE]

im sorry i just saw this; you're worried about entering a mat w/o experience but not being able to teach kids without classroom experience? ppl i know in alt certif taught in some manner ie tech school, camp, after-school etc