Proposal to arm teachers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 19, 2017

It's a slippery slope, my friend. A slippery slope.

There was a raccoon at my mom's school once...

Pashtun likes this.
  2. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jan 19, 2017

I learned something today, thank you backroads. I never really understood "slippery slope", now I get it.

Backroads likes this.
  3. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jan 20, 2017

The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

So are you all in the militia?

Really, I promise you, we Brits have no wish to invade anymore.

4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jan 20, 2017

I imagine that it would do much more harm than good as I imagine a teacher using it if they are upset or frustrated and I imagine students getting hold of it. A better option is investing in a police officer for our schools if necessary. Unfortunately, our new administration does not seem opposed to this idea but I will look for another career if this happens where I work in the future.

5. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 20, 2017

We Americans debate this wording all the time, so I don't see what you're getting at. Most gun-owners I know own for one or more of the following: hunting, sport, self-protection against your common criminal, believe it's their duty to have the resources needed to form a militia against our government--not yours.

And really, it's not like the British people are perfectly gun-free, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

6. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Jan 20, 2017

When a kid shoots her/his classmates, it's a cry for help that unfortunately ends in suicide or imprisonment. We need to help these kids before the act of violence.

7. Education4all

Education4all Rookie

Jan 20, 2017

Yes, any able bodied person is in the Militia. It is the anonymity of this idea that makes it so powerful.

Notice THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE? That refers to an individual right. If it does not and is a collective right, then the same logic needs to be applied to the 1st and 4th amendments as well. The right of the people in the 4th amendment only applies to corporations, not individuals and their privacy. The right of the people in the 1st amendment only applies to news media and no individual such as ourselves here.

Oh, and shall not be infringed is only in the second amendment and ironically is the most infringed upon right, but I digress.

8. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 20, 2017

Just out of curiousity, do you support the right for individuals with paranoid schizophrenia to own a fully loaded automatic machine gun, and their right to carry that anywhere they so choose? I'm going to go out on a limb and guess not, in which case, like everyone else, you agree that there needs to be limits at some point, and the question becomes where that limit should be, exactly.

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 20, 2017

Please, let's keep the topic less on guns in general and more on safety in the classroom.

Backroads likes this.
  10. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 20, 2017

I know this has been touched on before in this thread, but this was the quote at hand:

I think this is a very good point. Not that I imagine hoards of teachers going crazy, but I do think that gun ownership/carrying out to be, in most cases, a personal choice. To tell a bunch of teachers who may or may not be comfortable with guns they have to be armed is asking for trouble in one form or another. Even asking for volunteers can inact a "volun-told" expectation.

Obadiah and ms.irene like this.
  11. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 20, 2017

This is actually fairly interesting to me. So do people at any time have a right to form a militia and point it against the United States government and impose their own will? It happened here in Oregon at a nature reserve where a group of armed men occupied the land because they felt the government took over some of their cattle grazing land by making a national park there.

Would we for instance be within our rights to form an armed militia and occupy with armed force construction sites where they are building this "wall" between USA and Mexico because we disagree with its construction?

Pashtun and Backroads like this.
  12. Education4all

Education4all Rookie

Jan 20, 2017

Wow. A country securing its borders is unconstitutional?

13. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 20, 2017

It's weird, but the only instance of the word "unconstitutional" in your post was from the sentence you added, even though you quoted Peregrin's entire post.

ms.irene and Pashtun like this.
  14. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 20, 2017

(also, for the record, my issue with "the wall" has nothing to do with the constitution and everything to do with the fact that it's a bad idea on basically every possible front)

Ms.Holyoke and Pashtun like this.
  15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 21, 2017

Participants in this thread are warned that personal attacks are against A to Z policy and can and will be dealt with by moderating the offending posts.

ms.irene and Loomistrout like this.
  16. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 21, 2017

You didn't answer my question.

17. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Jan 23, 2017

I think arming teachers is a bad idea - - it confuses their role. If anyone were going to be armed in my kids' school I would want it to police or guards whose role was only security.