Proposal to arm teachers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Jan 17, 2017

Yep. Arming teachers increases the potential of death or injury by gun to themselves, innocent students and colleagues not only in school intruder confrontations but other situations as well. Anyone is capable of rage, revenge or depression, and teachers are no exception. The mental skills of a person (teacher) are likely to play just as important of a role, if not more, than the too often assumption clamping a gun to one's body is all inclusive in using it correctly.

2. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 17, 2017

The one teacher I can think of who was trained with weapons still almost killed himself when he reholstered incorrectly and shot lengthwise down his own leg. Thankfully, the range was filled with first responders who were able to save him and his limb. Remembering that does give me pause, especially considering how experienced he was with firearms. If he could mess up and severely injure himself on the range, the same thing could happen in a classroom if a gun was allowed there.

Obadiah and Backroads like this.
  3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 17, 2017

I totally agree. In all seriousness. Not just the ones that might shoot someone else, but the ones that might shoot themselves after a rough day. A large number of my colleagues are on mood stabilizers and anti-depressants.

Obadiah likes this.
  4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 17, 2017

[QUOTE="ms.irene, post: 2019598, member: 61361"

Also, I wonder if some of these shooters might show more empathy towards an animal than a human being...[/QUOTE]

Perhaps a small minority of shooters might. I think by the time a person gets to the point that they are planning mass murders of fellow human beings that not much will reach them.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 17, 2017

The idea of there being a gun in school anywhere outside of a specially trained crisis officer for a set period of time, or MAYBE locked up in a location that only a minimal number of people have key access to... makes me physically sick to my stomach.

6. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo Comrade

Jan 17, 2017

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    Obadiah likes this.
  7. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jan 18, 2017

8. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Jan 18, 2017

As mentioned earlier, shooters tend to be trained by video games which award extra points for shooting at the head, although I do think you're idea is very possible and very good, Mr Magoo. On the other hand, such material would also give the perpetrator extra protection. More research into design could provide an especially wearable, comfortable, and even stylish fabric.

A previous post suggested the use of dogs in the school and I was thinking along the same line, too. I was also thinking about robotics that could isolate the intruder(s) and physically stop him/her. Controversially, I see two victims in such incidents. The intruder is also a victim, especially if the intruder is a child. Sadly, lethal enforcement is potentially necessary, but if the child can be stopped prior to committing such horrendous crimes, better yet, if the child can be reached before even planning and attempting such situations, that is a win-win situation that should be contemplated.

9. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Jan 18, 2017

My dial-up connection doubled my reply, so I edited the 2nd copy out, but my computer mishap popped another idea into my head. The standard procedure (and should remain so) is for a staff member to call 911, but what if the school was monitored with electronics that could also dial authorities, and automatically monitor the entire school, even if just an auditory monitoring. At the push of a button or after electronically sensing a potential problem, authorities would have instant information about the school and the location inside the school. (We already do this with fire alarms). A new attitude towards false alarms would be needed; heeding a false alarm is better than neglecting a real alarm. And after several cries for wolf, the same attention would still need to be administered to an alarm, because it might be real.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 18, 2017

You all do realize that, in many countries, police officers are not even armed? IMO, this is a sick response to the growing escalation of guns and the continued devaluation of human life.

11. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jan 18, 2017

Yep, we have gotten into some wierd position of the more people who are armed with guns the safer we are, yet we try to stop other countries from arming themselves with nukes(of course we get to have them).

I would encourage everyone to youtube Jim Jeffries comedy video about gun control, it is absolutely hilarious and he makes some very very good points.

Upsadaisy and ms.irene like this.
  12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 18, 2017

Who is going to pay for the installation, upkeep, and monitoring of such systems?

Obadiah and Backroads like this.
  13. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 18, 2017

Ultimately I think individual circumstances should provide exceptions to any gun rule.
    As been said, it's unreasonable to expect a rural school to wait multiple hours for a police response.

Obadiah likes this.
  14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 18, 2017

I actually don't disagree with this point. It's one I haven't considered. I can remember driving through Montana a few times each year on the way to visit my grandma and seeing signs that said that there were no services for like 250 miles--no gas stations, no restaurants, no nothing. I can see how it might be a good idea for a school in a severely rural setting to have a practical plan in place for taking care of themselves. I think any such plan should include a variety of catastrophic scenarios like power loss, no access to clean water, etc.

Besides, you gotta watch out for all those rampant grizzlies, you know.

15. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Jan 18, 2017

Wasn't there a thread a few years back about a PE teacher who had to shoot a python that had gotten loose onto the field? Or was it an alligator?

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 18, 2017

Could have been. There was once a pack of coyotes on the loose on my campus. Nobody shot them, though.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 18, 2017

Guns in schools "could protect from potential grizzlies" :confused:

18. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo Comrade

Jan 18, 2017

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    Backroads likes this.
  19. Education4all

Education4all Rookie

Jan 18, 2017

I believe teachers should be able to be armed in the classroom. I would require them to go through thorough training and maintain that training and proficiency throughout the year. Also, I would say that they should carry concealed so no one knows who is carrying. It would be very easy to carry a small pistol on the ankle all day in comfort. Also, in colder weather I could conceal a full size pistol under a coat in a shoulder holster. I don't think a teacher will engage a threat 30 yards down a hall with children everywhere. However, if locked down in classroom, the teacher could empty the mag center mass in close quarters to eliminate the threat if it came through the door.

20. Secondary Teach

Secondary Teach Companion

Jan 18, 2017

After watching the NBC news tonight, it appears that of all things "grizzly bears" are among the reasons why teachers need to be armed in order to protect their students from them. Oh...my.
    :)

Peregrin5 likes this.
  21. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jan 18, 2017

After today all I can do is laugh.

ms.irene likes this.
  22. Education4all

Education4all Rookie

Jan 18, 2017

So hilarious. Some ignorant foreigner here in America making money in our free market by mocking our country. If America is such a joke, why is that fool even in this country? You are praising this guy who makes fun of our national anthem and Rights under our Constitution?

What is funny to me is that people who praise a culture of diversity in America are the very ones who mock the system that made it happen. If America was not GREAT, people from every place around the world would not be here, plain and simple.

2ndTimeAround likes this.
  23. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jan 19, 2017

How big a cannon would you have to carry to bring down a Grizzly rather than just annoy it?

24. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Jan 19, 2017

You've brought up an excellent point that shouldn't be overlooked. Along with creative solutions to a problem, also needed are creative resources. Your post made me think of some possibilities. For electronic monitoring and defenses, local colleges could budget this into their course work as a hands-on experience for students. Perhaps businesses, major or local, could budget this as advertising expenses. Creative use of raw materials would lower expenses, and the resulting research would possibly even enhance the economy. Concerning trained dogs, local animal trainers would possibly donate their time and possibly they or animal shelters could even donate animals. My small town has several hobbyists who train animals, so I'm assuming this is the same all over.

25. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jan 19, 2017

Yes, his routine his hilarious and he makes some very good points.

26. Education4all

Education4all Rookie

Jan 19, 2017

I can rebut everyone of his points in my sleep. His rant on gun control shows he is completely ignorant and does not understand what the second amendment even is or the idea of individual liberty in America.

27. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jan 19, 2017

ok, I would love to hear them and have a conversation about them as I agreed with a lot of his statements. Let's take the conversation to private.

28. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 19, 2017

Since this is a discussion forum, please do so. I haven't yet watched the video, but am interested in a summary of the main points of it and your thoughts.

29. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jan 19, 2017

You should really try to youtube the video if it is still there, it has some great points. One of which the previous poster even demonstrated.

30. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 19, 2017

Obadiah likes this.
  31. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Jan 19, 2017

It is really sad and scary to me that this is not such a hypothetical question anymore.

Obadiah and Caesar753 like this.
  32. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jan 19, 2017

Yes, the grizzly bear invasion has become a reality:)
    (yes, it is a joke)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  33. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 19, 2017

Thank you, everyone, for keeping the balance of professional and humorous without turning the discussion into a quagmire. It's appreciated!

34. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Jan 19, 2017

That was a cringe worthy moment.

35. Secondary Teach

Secondary Teach Companion

Jan 19, 2017

Lol, you all put a smile on my face today. Now, I kept laughing in front of my students. They did ask why, and I found a way to incorporate the issue of the discussion into the day's lesson.
    :)

36. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jan 19, 2017

Isn't the right to bear arms a response to repel the evil British? If we promise not to invade can you repeal the amendment?

37. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 19, 2017

Most see it as a right to being able to protect oneself. I don't think it was ever about you.

38. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 19, 2017

Speaking of grizzly bears...

My niece's school had a coyote last fall.

I know, not a grizzly bear, but still. Wild animal, right?

39. El sol

El sol Rookie

Jan 19, 2017

I think some have touched on the point already but it is clear it depends on the school, the state and even the country.

It is a great idea for teachers to be armed, not just with guns but also with a taser gun, pepper spray and a baton. Just to be on the safe side, department heads should have grenades. Of course there should also be a tank in front of the main building just to show possible attackers that we're not messing around.

But wait, what if the would-be attacker is a Lycan or a vampire? You need special types of bullets that can eliminate those people or beings or things. Just imagine if someone like Edward Cullen was in your class--extra credit if you know the reference. A normal bullet is not going to do its job. You need a better weapon. He even glows and comes out during daylight!

Specialized training should be given every Summer by Robocop or someone with that high of a caliber.

Anyway, for those who oppose carrying a gun: they can be given just the baton or a katana. Of course additional training would be provided for katana usage. Those in the faculty who attend the additional training can be given an added pay for mastering different arms.

Cleaning the arms and maintaining the tank can be counted as adjunct duty. The driver of the tank itself would not have to do any adjunct, even if the tank is not used during the school year.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    dgpiaffeteach, Backroads and Pashtun like this.
  40. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jan 19, 2017

`
    We have coyotes where we live. Never heard anyone talk about arming teachers to take down a coyote, but it is a good diversionary tactic.

dgpiaffeteach and Backroads like this.