proper spelling?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Anne Marie, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Anne Marie

Anne Marie Rookie

Jul 20, 2005

I am a new teacher that is needing some help on some spelling..lol. I am not married, and never been married..so do I use Ms. or Miss before my name? I had always heard that if you have never been married: Miss. If you are divorced or widowed use Ms. Will someone settle this one for me? A lot of people are addressing me as Ms., and would rather be called Ms. What's the right way? THANK YOU!

3. camcdade

camcdade Comrade

Jul 20, 2005

I've always heard that "Miss" is for younger unmarried women. "Ms." is for either widowed, divorced or older unmarried women. I don't think there's a particular age when "Miss" has to become "Ms." if you're unmarried. I think it's just what you prefer. I'll be interested in what other's say!

4. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 20, 2005

I am 25 and I use Miss for my name. I know some of the other teachers were older than me and not married used Miss. Use what your comfortable with. I had a parent who called me Mrs all year even though I signed everything Miss.

5. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 20, 2005

I'm 23, never married, and I use Ms. In my opinion, Miss conveys someone who is young and perhaps immature. Not always, but I think it sometimes can, and I view Ms. as a more professional title. But, like AMK said, I often get called Mrs. I just deal with it.

6. Anne Marie

Anne Marie Rookie

Jul 20, 2005

I'll go with Ms. then. I feel more comfortable using that title, just didn't want to be looked at funny if I used it. Thanks guys for the input!

7. Anne Marie

Anne Marie Rookie

Jul 20, 2005

Question again..I may use Miss. Do I put a period after Miss? It seems like I heard once that you don't do that for Miss. THANK YOU!

8. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jul 20, 2005

No period after Miss. It is not an abbreviation like Ms. and Mrs.

9. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2005

I am also young and unmarried (not for long!!) and I have used Ms. But I decided to use it because it was shorter. I didn;t think too hard about it.

10. Anne Marie

Anne Marie Rookie

Jul 20, 2005

Thank you! :)

11. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 20, 2005

I was wondering the same thing.
    I'm only 21 and unmarried... will be student teaching in the fall.
    I've heard the same things as you said in the first post.
    I usually go by "Miss Kirby" right now (obviously, haha) but am not sure if I should use Ms. either.

12. herins

herins Companion

Jul 20, 2005

I think it's just preference now. The only girl I know who specifically chose Ms. for her door sign chose it over Mrs. because it sounds better with her last name!

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2005

Ms. (or Ms) is a title used with the last name or full name of a woman. Unlike the more traditional titles Miss and Mrs., it does not bear any reference to the woman's marital status, as Mr. does not for a man. So it's a matter of personal preference. Either single or married women can used Ms.

14. Anne Marie

Anne Marie Rookie

Jul 21, 2005

Thanks for all the help. Sounded silly to ask that question, I know..but was sending stuff out to parents and wanted to put the CORRECT title on the info. I ended up choosing Miss !!! :)

15. MsWilks13

MsWilks13 Rookie

Jul 21, 2005

I like Miss. too... Even though I used Ms. in my username...Miss seems cuter... :D

16. herins

herins Companion

Jul 21, 2005

I sooo wish I could be Mlle. (mademoiselle) instead of Mme. (madame), but alas, I got married. Madame sounds soooooo matronly! If you haven't been in a french class, imagine children calling "madame" over and over again! Ohhhhh, to be Miss again. :)

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2005

I happen to like Mrs.- I've been married 20 years and am proud of my family, my husband and our life together so Mrs. works for me!!

18. Sarah Leigh Ann

Sarah Leigh Ann Companion

Jul 21, 2005

Even though I have been married for five years I am constantly called Ms. and Mrs. I think kids have trouble hearing the difference. I wish they could just call me Ms. Sarah

19. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2005

The kids call me Mrs. Bre instead of Miss Bre a lot...I've just gotten used to it...though it makes the other teacher laugh...then they tease me "yeah, when's the wedding MRS Bre!" Its just too small of a detail for the little ones to catch...

20. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2005

I'm 24 and unmarried and going into my 3rd year of teaching. I go by Miss Garrett. Although the kids seem to call me Miss G and Mom more than anything else!! The parents still sometimes write Mrs. Garrett on notes to me...but that just tells me they don't pay attention!! :)

21. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2005

22. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 21, 2005

heh... I've gone into my mom's room before, when she's had school and I've been off... and i HAVE to go by "Miss Emily" there, because Miss D. and Mrs. D are JUST too much to keep straight for PreK SPE kids...

When I was student teaching, I had several kids (2nd gr.) call me Mrs. D... and it was a good opportunity for a lesson when I told them, "I'm MIss D., Mrs. D. is my mom!" They all thought that was pretty funny, but it did help them... it doesn't bug me, it just sounds odd to my ears! I think sometimes kids just don't KNOW the difference!!!

23. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2005

One time, my student who came from Haiti called me Dad. That was weird! But I think it happened because his mom had gone back to Haiti with his little brother and he was at home with his dad.

Nonetheless, that comment stuck with me! :)

And since I look more like I'm 17 and not 24, I don't have to worry about the Grandma thing yet...but I'm sure it'll happen one of these days:)

24. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2005

The dad comment is funny :D Although I'm sure you didn't think so at the time. I've never been called that! I thought I was doing good too.........I've been told I look much younger.......makes me feel good because I have a 19 year old daughter. Needless to say, the grandma comments deflated any ideas I had about looking younger! :eek: It sneaks up on you and then one day, boom..............grandma! sheesh

25. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 21, 2005

hehe, kinderkids... kids have no concept of age... I spent 2 summers in college working as a camp counselor... and, inevitably, one of the first questions we ALL got at Sunday dinner (we got new kids on Sunday afternoons) was "How old are you?" We almost always answered, "well, how old do you think I am?" This was invaribly met with some amusing guesses, especially from the 2nd-4th graders... I was 19 and 20 those summers, AND I look young... I had at least one kids say "47" and another "99." Gotta love kids! ;)

So I wouldn't worry about the "grandma" comment too much... maybe they just REALLY like their grammas! :)

26. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2005

Oh no doubt about that, but I've seen their grandmas! I don't have white hair! tee hee

:p :p :p :p :D :D :D :D

27. jnation

jnation Companion

Jul 21, 2005

When I was student teaching, I went by Miss Nation; however, the kids would always call me Mrs. Nation. There favorite thing to say to me was, jokingly, Mrs. Nation you are so mean, or Mrs. Nation doesn't like us because she gives us so much homework. I would always playfully reply back, "Why are you talking about my mom like that? She is not going to like you talking bad about her." They always got a kick out of it and a good smile. I miss my junior highers!!

I think I'm going to stick with Miss in my new job, but it will only be for a few months because I'm getting married in October!!! Then, Mrs. it is!

28. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 22, 2005

I am twenty-three and go by Ms. For some reason, I always associated Miss with primary and Ms. with intermediate classrooms, yet in the long run, it really doesn't matter! Then of course when I get married, I will be Mrs. _____.

I get called Mrs. by a few, though (especially two students last year), and it was hilarious the day my mother was volunteering!

29. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 22, 2005

The kids in my school seem to use Miss universally because it is somewhat easier to say, I guess. Very few use Mrs., though that is what I go by. And all of you without grey hair - watch out, it will creep up on you! Seriously, though, I colored my hair for years and then let it go natural. Whew. It is all different silver colors and everyone thinks I do it deliberately and compliments me! Boy, is it easier, too.

30. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Jul 22, 2005

I'm 28, married for nearly 10 years
    and most my kids and their parents call me ms. I think because with my last name Mrs. is a mouth full. Though I do get called Mrs. H. I suppose I don't have a preference.

31. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 22, 2005

Not sure whether anyone has hit on this yet, but "back in the day" when "Ms." became popular, it was for the purpose of not disclosing your maritial status. (It's funny that men don't have to deal with the name-change thing, and that was the point feminists were making.)

Anyway, I chose to change my name (back to birth name) following a divorce a few years ago. I certainly am not a "Miss," but "Mrs." no longer fits either. "Ms." is nice; it gives me my own identify without necessarily flashing my marital status.

However, I have been called SO many names by Kindergarteners...it's really just a technical issue in primary grades!!! :-D

32. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 22, 2005

When my students would call me Mrs A. I would quickly say hey my mom is here? I would explain the difference b/w Miss and Mrs. My mom came by a few times to drop off something if I forgot it at home and they thought it was so funny to have a Miss A and Mrs. A!

I have been called mom many times and even grandma. I am 25 and was shocked. But the little boy's grandma lived with them so he was used to saying it often.
    I have parents who say their child calls them Miss A. at home!

33. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 8, 2005

I am 29 (at least for two more months), I have always gone by Ms. I don't think I did it on purpose. It was just quicker to write. Most of the students call me Mrs. Of course one of the special education students just calls me by my last name since he can't pronounce M.

34. MizJudy

MizJudy Rookie

Aug 8, 2005

I am 27 and just got married 3 weeks ago. :love: I went by Miss for all 6 years. It's going to be hard for my old pre-k students next year, both my aide and I got married this summer (one week apart). We both have new names! :D However, I'm hoping I'm not there next year and at the school closer to me, but if not, then it ought to be funny to watch Miss Purnell and Miss Jackson go to Mrs. Judy and Mrs. Revely. It will take all the older (K up) children a while to adjust.

I have been addressed as both Mom and Grandma. It's even funnier when they say "Mom" and I respond "Mom?!?", then they correct themselves, with a shake of their head, and say, "I mean Grandma". At this point I'm laughing and I have to ask, "Do I look like your grandma?" They laugh and *finally* get it right. They know I mean no insult, it's just all in good fun. :p

35. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Aug 8, 2005

During my student teaching semester our university had name tags printed up for us to wear into the schools. They insisted that everyone, married or unmarried, use Ms. because it was more "politically correct" and had each tag printed that way. Who knows? When I came home with the tag, my husband asked me, "What happened, did I disappear?"

36. Poolbear2

Poolbear2 Rookie

Aug 8, 2005

Miss or Ms.?

I'm 25 and go by both! I use to only use Miss but over the past 3 years I have started jumping between the two. I tend to use Ms. when I'm writing notes, signing forms, anything official. But in my room I use Miss in my room and on my welcome sign. I train my students too that Mrs. is my mom and not me. It always makes me laugh when a sub says "well Mrs. would like.." ofcourse one of my students pipes up and says Mrs. is her mom she's a Miss.... gotta love little kids! :D

37. Teener

Teener Companion

Aug 8, 2005

I chose to be Ms. for the same reason that Steph-ernie gave. I felt that it sounded more professional than Miss. I think either is fine, however, I have been told that usually women are Miss or Mrs. and that you only use Ms. when you are unsure of their marital status or if you are older and divorced/widowed.

38. bonteach

bonteach Companion

Aug 8, 2005

I'm 32 and I've been married for 12 years, I've always been Mrs. But my students call me everything. the best was last year when I taught middle school and the students couldn't stop calling me by the Social Studies teacher's name. I just kept asking if they wanted her homework twice!:)

39. k_canuck

k_canuck Rookie

Aug 9, 2005

I was Miss during my student teaching years... but ugh... got so turned off by it - don't know if you can imagine dozens of Glaswegian (as in Glasgow, Scotland) kids hollering out "miss" "miss" - sounded a bit more like 'Muss' - and as much as i love that glasgow accent, i just couldn't handle being 'muss' anymore...

so - when I started teaching 'for real' I went with Ms. - I use Ms. for all correspondence, at school and in the 'real world' - and plan on staying Ms. forever - my opinion is that why should I have to change my title when i get married if the guy doesn't?

just my two cents!

k

40. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2005

I'm only 18 and hardly a day goes by that I don't get called grandma...although in my town, a lot of women are grandmas before they're 30. Its kinda sad...there were more than 10 pregnant girls in my graduating class of less than 200, and for several it wasn't their first child. My brother was born when I was 10, and EVERYONE assumed he was mine. So back to my original point, I don't make a big deal about being called grandma, a lot of the kids are being raised by grandma, so its like being called mom

41. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 9, 2005

I'm 25 and go by Miss. I get called Mrs. sometimes as well. It really doesn't bother me. I guess it depends where you live about dialect. Miss and Ms. are pronounced pretty much the same. Last year I had a kid that kept calling me "Hey Teacher", even after I corrected him. I started saying "Yes, boy?" to him each time he did it. He was kind of startled the first time, but any other time it was funny for him. After about 2 weeks, he hardly ever did it. I got that hint from a veteran teacher.