Proper Attire

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by serawyn, Aug 6, 2005.

1. serawyn

serawyn Companion

Aug 6, 2005

This will be my first year teaching preschool in a public school setting. I was wondering what is the proper attire for this age group? It would be great if you could give me some suggestions. Thank you!

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 6, 2005

Well, something nice, but nothing you don't want ruined with paint, greasy food fingers or other nice little preschool messy stuff. :) I would ask the people you are working for what they expect you to wear. I wear casual clothes but I deal with special ed kids that spill more than a regular preschooler would, throw up more and have more accidents, too. I have some that give you a hug around the hips when you head toward them with wetwipes to clean them up, but you end up with pizza fingers on your behind or legs... LOL. I'm in the floor with them, outside with them, I'm not ruining my nice clothes... I don't get paid enough to replace everything they ruin that detergents don't get out. :)

GOOD LUCK!!!
    Lori

4. hometeacher

hometeacher Companion

Aug 6, 2005

its my first year too and i have many fears of what to wear. i want to feel comfortable and still look nice. The other teachers in my school dress in alot of cardigans and pants or dress shirt and jeans.
    my biggest thing is shoes. i never can find the right shoe. i dont want noisy loud shoes, there disrupting .
    and coats too, i would like a nice dress coat .
    Wouldnt it be nice if we all could were comfy pants and a t-shirt ....LOL.....

5. serawyn

serawyn Companion

Aug 6, 2005

I want a really nice and comfy pair of shoes, but I don't know which brand to get. However, I LOVE sneakers. Are those ok to wear? I have a pair of nike sneakers and it would be so comfortable..... :)

Also, are capris ok? I would love to wear capris.

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 6, 2005

I wear capris for the fact that shorts are a no-no and capris look so much cuter. When I was overweight, capris were a life saver. I would burn up with pants on and the AC on high freezing everyone else out.

I like EasySpirit shoes for the most part... sandals, sneakers, etc. I've found others that are rather comfy, too. I got some BASS shoes that look like birkenstocks... Delyse is the name of the style... OH MY... more comfy to me than real birks could ever even dream of being. The insoles are soooooooooooooooooooooo comfy!!!!!!! That style is being discontinued so if you can find them and you like them... BUY THEM!!! I'm going to order another pair from ZAPPOS.com before they get gone!!! They do run about a size smaller. I wear 8 1/2, I had to get a 9 1/2... a little loose but soooooooooooo comfy!!!!

Lori

7. hometeacher

hometeacher Companion

Aug 6, 2005

Well keep your own personal style for sure , but if you really want to wear capris just dress with your top with a nice pin. And some dresser close toe clogs.
    sure wear your sneakers if there super comfy. But maybe with jeans and a nice sweater set.

8. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 6, 2005

I would think that sneakers probably wouldn't be ok, but capris probably would be, but that would be a policy of the school. I think they would most likely be alright, though.

9. dee

dee Companion

Aug 6, 2005

I would recommend check with the school where you will be working. In my district, the final dress code is up to the principal. In my school we can wear capris, but there are schools that can't. At some schools pantyhose must be worn and no open-toe shoes can be worn. We do not have to have pantyhose and we can wear open-toe shoes. Again, check with the school before doing any shopping. I would think that sneakers are very appropriate for prek. My sisters teaches prek and she just bought 2 new pairs of sneakers for th school year.

10. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2005

I teach PreK in a public school. Around here, each school has it's own "no-no's" when it comes to attire. So, ask around while you're setting up your room. I do know that one of my friends in another school must wear stockings or socks at all times, no bare toes or feet!

Here, we cannot wear sneakers without a dr. note. We also cannot wear flip flops. We don't have to wear dresses/skirts, but we must look professional. Capris are permitted - even my principal will wear them in the Fall and Spring. We cannot wear tank tops or shirts that show your shoulders in any way. Tshirts are frowned upon, too, unless they are the dressier sort. No demin of any sort is allowed.

Preschool presents its own set of challenges...paint, clay, food, vomit...so don't buy any work clothes that must be dry cleaned, and avoid white or light-light colored pants and shirts.

Don't dress like the kids, don't dress like you're in college attending class, and don't dress like you're one of the carpool moms who hasn't had a shower yet, and you'll likely be fine.

11. teacherspet24

teacherspet24 Rookie

Aug 6, 2005

Most schools let preschool teachers wear comfier, stretchier clothing just because you are more hands on and always on the floor. Like others have already said you will get dirty, so don't wear your best, most expensive outfits. Just go into the principals office and ask. They will appreciate that you didn't just assume and were in violation of an unwritten dress code. I know our principal is on a power trip and you must run everything by her.

12. serawyn

serawyn Companion

Aug 7, 2005

Thank you everyone! I will definitely check with my school and see what the dress code is like.

13. kteachdc

kteachdc Rookie

Aug 8, 2005

I wear lots of stuff from Old Navy. They have professional looking stuff (collared shirts, polos, pants) but it isn't expensive. My clothes usually last one school year, but some have lasted longer! I do buy light colored pants (tan) because you can bleach them! I also keep shout at school and just shout myself if I get a big blob of paint on them. However, bleach gets almost everything out. I also wear tennis shoes - I usually buy 2 pairs, one more "formal" than the other (i.e.darker). I also wear lots of t-shirts (not printed ones, plain ones with a hemmed neck and sleeve) from Old Navy or Target. No one has ever had a problem with my clothes, and I've been in 3 schools! I think there is an expectation that preschool teachers are going to have to dress more casually, because we get messier!

14. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 8, 2005

I would check with the school you are going to be working at. We don't have preschool at the school I ed tech at. When I was hired for the job I have now I was told to go out and buy a nice pair of running sneakers. The student I was going to be working with liked to run away.
    So sneakers were fine at the school but jeans are a big no no unless it's jean Friday.
    I always felt kind of silly wear sneakers with dress pants. But it was hard to run in dress shoes after the kindergartener I worked with then.
    Good luck!

15. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Aug 8, 2005

What to wear

I just finished working at a preschool as an aide, but was great friends with the teachers as well. I started the year wearing nice pants and shirts, but quickly discovered this wasn't the smartest choice. We were lucky, it wasn't required. Since the kids are little, our supervisors would rather see us getting into the mess than worrying about what we're wearing. I wore a lot of jeans and tshirts, ocassionally I broke down and wore a sweatshirt if I was cold. I know one the teachers brings one each day, but in case it's chilly outside. Start by dressing up, then watch what everyone else wears, that's a good sign.

16. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 8, 2005

Another tip: You might ask co-workers first to get an idea, then watch to see what everyone else wears the first week or two of school. It's better to overdress than underdress if you're unsure. Then if you still need clarification you could ask someone in charge. However, once you ask the principal, you are accountable to whatever he or she tells you. It may be that the written rule is not followed to the T, and you'd be okay doing what everyone else is doing. I had this problem at a new school - There was a district rule that the administrator normally overlooked, but since I had asked and she specifically told me about the rule, I was stuck. This particular rule had to do with a mini-fridge in the room. Several others teachers had one, I found out later, and I would have brought mine if I wouldn't have asked. I lived almost an hour away and worked late a lot and would have benefited from a stocked fridge. :)

17. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Aug 9, 2005

My Teaching Attire

I wear slacks, I have 7 pair, and I wear sweaters with shirts. I have several sets from which to choose. I also have two pair of Easy Spirit shoes that I wear. I wear these all year unless I have a teacher conference or other function, for these meetings I wear a suit.

18. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Aug 10, 2005

I taught preschool (home certified) for 8 years. My theory is that you should dress for success. I don't like to wear sneakers, but I always dressed in what is considered business casual. I wanted people to take me seriously and not stereotype me as a "babysitter in sweats". Also, I sub in my school district and I know that sneakers are a no-no. I always overdress and am usually sorry because I end up looking as if I am an administrator instead of a sub (In my previous life I was a paralegal).

Good luck to you, though. It sounds as if you've recieved some pretty sound advice from everyone.