Propel Charter Schools

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ktmiller222, Aug 31, 2011.

1. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Aug 31, 2011

There are Propel Charter Schools around the Pittsburgh area. I've heard that they are really good schools for students from low-income areas and school districts have to fork over money for their students to go to the Propel Charter School. They have really good test results. Does anyone know what the teacher salaries are? I think the states gives money to the schools as well Also, is it more difficult to get a job at a state charter school? Any info would be great. I'm not too familiar with charter schools.

3. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Aug 31, 2011

I'm in the South, so I haven't heard of Propel schools here. The charter schools usually pay about the state average or maybe a little less if they need too. Some charters have longer school days and have you "on call" if your students need homework help and then the compensate you with a few more thousand dollars added to your salary.

4. teach42

teach42 Comrade

Sep 1, 2011

I think it depends on the charter school. Around here, the charter schools pay a little more than the district but it's usually comparable. Some of them will make you work more hours but you get more pay.

5. springmac

springmac Companion

Sep 1, 2011

Propel

I used to live in the Pittsburgh area. Haven't heard much about Propel, but try this site for salary info. You can kind of look to see where starting salary is.

http://php.app.com/PAteachers/search.php

6. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 3, 2011

I tried interviewing with different charter schools in my area (NJ)-- they weren't Propel schools but what really turned me off is that they seemed to be constantly interviewing for positions. It made me feel as if the charter schools were just interviewing for the sake of interviewing-- not actually hiring. If you notice that Propel schools are hiring year round, they might actually be doing the same thing. So while it would be great to get through the interviews for experience sake, I wouldn't keep my hopes up about actually getting a position.

If, however, they only hire during the normal school hiring season, that would be a great sign that they actually have real positions they want to fill.

7. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 3, 2011

I don't have any experience with Propel, but I work at a charter school. Our salaries are actually slightly lower than the local districts and that's pretty typical for charters in my area.

Are you sure that the local districts actually pay for the students who go to Propel? The fact that districts have to pay money for charter students is a widely spread myth. What actually happens is that the money paid by the state follows the students, so the districts don't receive that money anymore because those students are no longer theirs. What's interesting is that the local districts get the money for those students they lost for a period of time even after the students are gone. I don't remember the specifics of that, but there's some formula they use, though.

8. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven