Proofread Parent Handbook

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by lareed, Jun 12, 2010.

1. lareed

lareed Companion

Jun 12, 2010

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 12, 2010

Have you had rule number five before, "Keep your teacher happy"? I can imagine some would find that questionable...

Just sayin'. :)

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 12, 2010

You've put a lot of work into your classroom and it shows!

5. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jun 12, 2010

Lareed, what a wonderful job...very impressive! As a parent, I would love to have a child in your care! :) Just one caution, though....I agree with JustMe on rule #5.

My first thought is that it is pretty vague...could lead to misunderstandings? And the second thought is: Are children 'responsible' for anyone's happiness? Maybe you could explain a little more about what your thinking is with #5. :)

Overall, I think it is amazing, and the overall message that you are very qualified, enthusiatic, and that you love what you do comes shining through! What parent would not want their child under your care! :love:

6. lareed

lareed Companion

Jun 12, 2010

Thanks for reading through!

I actually have had these rules the last 2 years and haven't had any questions. I modified the rules from Power Teaching. However, I do somewhat agree with what you guys are saying, and when I made these rules 2 years ago, I wondered if I would be questioned. I haven't had anyone ask about so I haven't changed it.

I go over the rules with my kiddos and explain that when they are happy, I am happy and vice versa. I made it rule 5 because if they follow the first 4 rules, rule 5 is pretty much automatically done!

Make sense?

7. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2010

I did notice that while most of the handbook references the first grade, the information sheet at the end refers to second grade.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2010

On the behavior plan, you say they start "everyday" on green. Shouldn't it be "every day"???

You mention the specials rotation, with the A, B, C, D listed. Will the parents know what that means??

The graded work gets sent home each week. Is it to be signed and returned?

When you mention Notes and Money you state: "Many times these things get left in their backpack because they have forgotten or didn’t know." Do you want to finish that with "know they had it"???

Can they opt out of signing the bottom part, where you can photograph the kids, and stil sign that they've read the rest?

I agree with rule 5. And did pick up on 3 son's comment-- you'll want to change that.
    Nice job!!!

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2010

Good job! I agree with everyone else, though. I would not include rule #5 in my class rules.

10. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2010

I use Rule # 5 in my class (as well as Power Teaching (love it btw). I think it's a great rule, but it should probably be clarified for the parents. Just explain how it encompasses a lot of common sense rules.

For example: The teacher isn't happy if you are writing on the desk. The teacher isn't happy if you are running in the classroom. etc.

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2010

As for rule number five, I understand the teacher isn't happy that a child is writing on the desk, and the teacher has the right to be unhappy, but I think the emphasis should be placed on the students and not the teachers.

12. tgim

tgim Habitué

Jun 13, 2010

I get rule number 5, but I also use some Power Teaching in my room. Maybe you could amend it to "Keep you dear teacher happy by always following rules 1-4," or "Keeping your teacher happy means happy students and happy parents, too."

I can tell you have put a lot of work into this! They are going to love having all of this info in one place.

A side note: One thing that hasn't been noted and might just be a personal issue - many of us use "their" when we really are referring to one child's notebook or backpack or whatever. It does get wordy saying "his/her backpack" or "his/her papers" all the time, so I know why we do it...it is just a little pet peeve of mine....sorry! :eek:

Another side note: It sounds like the folders your students use daily would lend themselves well to one of these fancy titles:
    http://www.smithsroom.com/MOOSE_Acronyms.htm
    I use one of these for my own classroom, and the kids love it. During the last month of school, a student came running in one morning to announce that her H.O.R.S.E. had run away!! It was priceless - especially after she found it in her desk!

13. lareed

lareed Companion

Jun 13, 2010

Thanks for all the suggestions! I teach a 1st/2nd grade looping so that is why I had 2nd on there...oops!

I work with a girl who gets on me about using his/her and I know it's incorrect...it's just always something I forget :)

I called my binder a SAFARI binder 2 years ago (Students Accountable For All Responsibility and Independence) but I haven't decided if I am using a binder or just a folder. I guess I could call it that either way.

About the specials rotations...the parents that went to my school last year know about, and I also include the schedule on the weekly newsletter. Although...I shouldn't assume! :)

Thanks everyone!

14. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 13, 2010

Nothing of use to add (looks awesome!) but one question. What is a Positive All-Star Referral? Sounds like a real treat, but it's the final step in the Levels system....

15. lareed

lareed Companion

Jun 13, 2010

I know that it is confusing getting a positive level thrown into the middle of negative levels. A Level 5 is a positive referral. Kids work really hard to earn one. They get their name called on the announcements and a reward. However the other levels are punishments. I don't know where this really came from...but a lot of people say that it is kind of confusing. However, the kids totally get it! Even in kinder.

16. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Jun 24, 2010

The purpose for "Rule #5 Keep your teacher happy." are more complex than many readers are thinking.

Any rule can and will be argued with from a kid's perspective:

Rule: Raise your hand for permission to speak.
    Kid: I was not talking, I was only asking her a question.

Rule: Raise your hand for permission to leave your seat.
    Kid: I was not out of my seat, I was just going to sharpen my pencil.

Rule: Do not write on desks.
    Kid: I was not writing on the desk, I needed more paper and wrote the answer down so I could copy it when I get more.

Rule: Keep your hands and feet to yourself
    Kid: I wasn't hitting him, I was trying to get his attention.

See? The purpose of Rule #5 is to have a rule that cannot be argued with. How can a student argue whether or not they are making me happy? I am the soul authority on whether something makes me happy or not. No can argue with me on that.

Rule #5 is designed to short circuit the power struggle that will sometimes result from using the other rules.

I use the five classroom rules, and have for three years. If a student says they do not know how to make me happy I simply respond "I am happy when you are learning. Just follow the first four rules."

If a parent asks why their student should have to make me happy I explain "Like anyone, I am most effective at my job if I am happy. What makes me happy is for your child to be learning in my class. The only thing that makes me unhappy is if your child is not following the other rules and is taking the opportunity to learn away from his/her classmates. That is not fair to them is it? All any student has to do to make me happy is to try their best to learn. If you child just follows the first four rules, then rule #5 takes care of itself, and I promise you your child will learn a lot this year."

17. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jun 26, 2010

I love your handbook. Can you tell me a little bit about how you created it? Is it just composed in WORD? Where did you find the pictures? I would love to create a doc like this but am not that knowledgeable about WORD. I am planning to take a class in July that should help me.

18. lareed

lareed Companion

Jun 28, 2010

Thanks! I created it in Word. I actually found someone else's handbook and edited it with my information. I used clipart found in Word and through Google images. Feel free to use mine and edit it for yourself :)

19. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Jun 28, 2010

If you need more clipart check out this link for images for educators.

20. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 29, 2010

Looks great!!!! You've worked hard and it shows!!!!! I also love Power Teaching. You could use "Keep your dear teacher happy" as an unwritten motto for your class - something that you use with your kids and they will understand what it means as something special between you and them.