Proofread and edit? Please?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by dogs&teaching, Oct 13, 2011.

1. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Oct 13, 2011

I am not an English teacher for a good reason. I have been emailing parents all night, but this email has taken me several hours to type. I'm completely exhausted and wanted someone to read over this before I send it in the morning. The words are beginning to blur together. I'll take any suggestions so feel free to "red" up this email. My principal, Mrs. Teacher, and I discussed this for about an hour today. They agree with everything I have stated and done. This parent likes drama. A lot.

Mrs. Teacher spoke with me yesterday after school regarding Student limping as a result of running the mile two days in a row. I will do my best to respond to the concerns Mrs. Teacher told me you had.

On Thursday, September 22nd, the students did the mile run/walk. I had the students complete it just like in years past, which is to walk, jog, or run to complete the mile. I had two students absent. The track was closed, so we ran around the park. I used to Map My Run to calculate the distance around the park. Then I figured the number of times around the park to be equivalent to one mile. (It ended up being 10 times.) I had the students that were present complete the mile. The next day, Friday, September 23rd, everyone was in attendance. I wanted to be able to have test results on the mile for those two students. I only had them complete a 1/4 of a mile. My reasoning for having the two students complete only a 1/4 of a mile was so that the class would not have to sit there and watch them test and we could have enough time as a class to begin on soccer. I explained this to the class and received moans and groans. The class did not believe it was fair that they only had to do 1/4 of a mile. I asked if they rather I just did not test at all. The class told me that wasn't fair either. I repeated why they were doing a 1/4 of a mile versus the full mile. I explained how I would adjust their scores to be equivalent to having run a full mile. They class continued to complain that it was still not fair. So I suggested that everyone would redo it to make it fair. Everyone ran around the park once (1/10 of a mile), and then I had them sit down except for the two I needed to test. All but one of the students would have had a worse time. So I opted to keep everyone's original time except the two I had just tested. I told the students that I would be keeping the original time after everyone finished. We began working on Soccer skills Friday after they finished.

On September 29th, we had an early dismissal with no p.e. We had no school on September 30th. We continued to practice soccer skills on October 6th and 7th. I have ran two half marathons and several 5ks and from my experience, running when you are not used to it can stress the body. This is why both days I had the students stretch before and after running. I realize that the muscles may not be sore right away, but they are usually noticed within a few days. I have stressed since the first day of school that if any student is hurt, sore, not feeling well, etc., they need to tell me immediately. I discuss with the students on an almost daily basis that everything I say is to ensure their safety and their responsibility is to notify me if something is wrong. Student has not notified me at all of being sore, hurt, or in any discomfort, so I was unaware of any issues until Mrs. Teacher discussed this matter with me.

Today and tomorrow, we will be doing soccer scrimmages. Mrs. Teacher informed me that Student would not be able to run for two days. I do not want her sitting during p.e. nor do I want her injuring herself. If you have any suggestions for an alternative activity for her, I gladly welcome any that you may have. I hope that I have been able to address all of your concerns with this email. If I have not been able to or you still have concerns, we can discuss this matter further in person.

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 13, 2011

Red = delete; blue = add.

Mrs. Teacher spoke with me yesterday after school regarding Student limping as a result of running the mile two days in a row. I will do my best to respond to the concerns Mrs. Teacher told me you had. after running in class two days. I wish Student had noticed the soreness before running the second day and informed me, but I know that muscle pain does not always show up immediately after physical activity.

On Thursday, September 22nd, the students did the mile run/walk. I had the students complete it just like in years past, which is to The instructions were to walk, jog, or run to complete the mile.

I had two students absent. Two students were absent on the 22nd, and needed to make up the assignment the following day. The class chose to run part of the race a second time rather than sit out. I would score only their better result. The track was closed, so we ran around the park. I used to Map My Run to calculate the distance around the park. Then I figured the number of times around the park to be equivalent to one mile. (It ended up being 10 times.) I had the students that were present complete the mile. The next day, Friday, September 23rd, everyone was in attendance. I wanted to be able to have test results on the mile for those two students. I only had them complete a 1/4 of a mile. My reasoning for having the two students complete only a 1/4 of a mile was so that the class would not have to sit there and watch them test and we could have enough time as a class to begin on soccer. I explained this to the class and received moans and groans. The class did not believe it was fair that they only had to do 1/4 of a mile. I asked if they rather I just did not test at all. The class told me that wasn't fair either. I repeated why they were doing a 1/4 of a mile versus the full mile. I explained how I would adjust their scores to be equivalent to having run a full mile. They class continued to complain that it was still not fair. So I suggested that everyone would redo it to make it fair. Everyone ran around the park once (1/10 of a mile), and then I had them sit down except for the two I needed to test. All but one of the students would have had a worse time. So I opted to keep everyone's original time except the two I had just tested. I told the students that I would be keeping the original time after everyone finished.

We began working on Soccer skills Friday on the 23rd, after they had finished running.

On September 29th, we had an early dismissal with no p.e. We had no school on September 30th. We continued to practice soccer skills on October 6th and 7th. I have ran two half marathons and several 5ks and from my experience, running when you are not used to it can stress the body. This is why both days I had the students stretch before and after running.

I realize that the muscles may not be sore right away, but they are usually noticed within a few days. I have stressed since the first day of school that if any student is hurt, sore, not feeling well, etc., they need to tell me immediately. I take their well-being seriously and always want to know of any discomfort or issues that arise. discuss with the students on an almost daily basis that everything I say is to ensure their safety and their responsibility is to notify me if something is wrong. Student has not notified me at all of being sore, hurt, or in any discomfort, so Unfortunately, I was unaware of any issues until Mrs. Teacher discussed this matter with me.

Today and tomorrow, we will be doing soccer scrimmages. Mrs. Teacher informed me that Student would not be able to run for two days. I do not want her sitting during p.e. nor do I want her injuring herself. If you have any suggestions for an alternative activity for her, I gladly welcome any that you may have. I would be happy to plan an alternate activity for your Student so that he/she will not put more stress on an uncomfortable area.

I hope that I have been able to address all of your concerns with this email. If I have not been able to or you still have concerns, we can discuss this matter further in personplease do not hesitate to call. Your child's safety and well-being are very important to me.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 13, 2011

Hope this was understandable.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2011

I agree to remove the entire portion explaining why students ran a second time.

6. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Oct 13, 2011

Thank you Upsadaisy.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 14, 2011

You're welcome. Good luck with it. Don't stress!