Promotion or pay raise?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by whizkid, Apr 26, 2020.

?

Promotion or pay raise?

1. Promotion

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Pay raise

8 vote(s)
    88.9%
  1. whizkid

whizkid Connoisseur

Apr 26, 2020

I know a promotion typically comes with a pay raise, but which is more important? The higher level of authority or the compensation? If you just had to pick one.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Apr 26, 2020

The money, of course! Why would you want way more responsibilities for no increase in pay?

[​IMG]

Tired Teacher and bella84 like this.
  4. whizkid

whizkid Connoisseur

Apr 26, 2020

No, no, that's not what I'm asking. I mean when it comes down to it, which is more important? For some, it's the power, others, it's the money.

5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Apr 26, 2020

Still the money, then. Power without money, to me, is useless. Money without power doesn’t really make sense because with money, comes power, as you have access to greater resources and how those resources are allocated. You also have more say in things because a bank, for example, will allow higher-profile clients to skip the lines and more perks. They will also speak more kindly to you and suck up, which is a beautiful thing.

6. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Apr 26, 2020

Well, if I had to teach from a script or something, I would take a pay cut to get away from a job like that. Since I have a a fair amount of freedom, and feel valued and respected, I would go for a pay raise. Realistically, the only substantial raise available to me is to go into admin, which would check both of your boxes. I am not really interested in that path, though, so I am opting for neither. I am still in a section of our pay scale with incremental increases every year.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 26, 2020

I would definitely take the money. I'm not into power, prefer to do my job, keep my head down, and not get involved in work politics.

8. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Apr 26, 2020

How far are you along and at what step? How many units? I’m a Masters + 30 as I just finished some online classes and step 6 currently.

9. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Apr 26, 2020

At my school, a promotion generally means you’ll work harder and more days, but you don’t really get adequately compensated for those days. You’d have to pay me a lot more to have me give up my summers. When you figure it all out, our admin and other staff that work in the summer often make less than or about the same per hour as teachers. Not worth it to me.

Caesar753, Tired Teacher and bella84 like this.
  10. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Apr 26, 2020

Exactly! I would NEVRR give up my summer unless they spaced out the breaks throughout the year and I received 1.5-2x my normal pay, haha!

11. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 26, 2020

I'm with everyone else so far... I'll take the money without the additional responsibilities, if I have my choice. I don't want to be bored at work, and I want to have some autonomy and maybe even some influence... but I don't need authority, and I definitely don't want added responsibility. I already feel overworked, and I could not imagine having to put in the hours that principals and other administrators do.

12. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Apr 26, 2020

I'd say pay raise for sure, unless the promotion was something that I really wanted to do more/would enjoy a lot more than my day to day now. That's all hypothetical though because I don't know what that would be. I have no interest in being an admin. I think there are a lot of perks to a position like being an instructional coach (here, they're paid the same as teachers), but that type of position doesn't really suit me either.

13. whizkid

whizkid Connoisseur

Apr 26, 2020

Oh wow

14. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Apr 26, 2020

Same here....

15. whizkid

whizkid Connoisseur

Apr 29, 2020

I don't know, the money is of course nice, but moving up and having a sense of power over something just seems a bit more important to me. Yes, I would need the pay raise with it, but I have to lean towards the promotion if it came down to which is more important.

16. whizkid

whizkid Connoisseur

Apr 29, 2020

Why am I not able to vote on my own thread? Where's the button? Lol

17. Tired Teacher

Apr 29, 2020

You don't have the power yet...lol :) I have never been allowed to vote on here or start conversations. :(
    This is my last yr, but ya know, after thinking about it, I'd take the power for 1 year. After having taught there so long, I'd be able to really help teachers who I have watched go above and beyond to be kind, helpful, and do their best.
    I'd fire 1 person too who has been a total B to everyone including our P. He is scared of her because she lies and knows how to "rile up" the community. The last P was "run out of town" and she was 1 of the instigators.I wouldn't have to worry about her riling up the community because I know peeps too. Plus, I'd only do it 1 year. So I wouldn't care if I got fired. :)

18. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Apr 30, 2020

If she lied to the point of inciting mass hysteria and getting someone fired, then why didn’t the ex-principal sue her or file charges?

I would throw the legal system at this person if someone spread lies about me as that is slander.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    Tired Teacher and whizkid like this.
  19. Tired Teacher

Apr 30, 2020

I wish he would have. He was a very kind, gentle person. He felt if the community was that against him, he'd leave. The way that community works though is awful to me. I lived in cities most of my life. Part of it works like this: Teacher A tells a very trusted friend or relative to spread rumors. Rumors take off like wild fire in a certain bar. They grow in scope too. More and more gets added to the lie as it gets passed on...…….It is almost impossible to figure out who started it, or to prove it.
    Actually, it is often pretty easy to figure out who started it. It is the 1 part of my job that I have hated for years. I seldom believe wild rumors, so some over the years could have been true or partially true. I don't have time for it.

20. May 1, 2020

I so totally agree. We are already grossly UNDERPAID in the teaching profession, whether it be High School, Elementary, or Preschool ( Im a preschool teacher)
    Ater all thats been going om in the world and parents finding out how hard it is and how much WE DO!! We ALL DESERVE A RAISE!!! But sadly that won't happen and I know my employer won't appreciate us even after this.
    And there's way to much work politics
    And I have to say I trust VERY FEW of my coworkers and thats sad. To much back stabbing and butt kissing at my work place.... what happened to its all about the CHILDREN!! Thats why I dont like my job anymore. I'm burned out and looking for a new career, SAD but it is what it is :neutral: