Promotion in Doubt

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by iteachbx, Jan 25, 2014.

1. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2014

Do any of your schools do this? I probably posted about it last year because it becomes so stressful for me!

Every January we're required to identify students we feel are promotion in doubt, since I'm in a testing grade that means students I feel will score a 1 on the state test. We're required (I believe it's a district policy?) to notify their parents, have a conference with them about where their child is and interventions that in place to help them, things they could do at home, etc.

It's so difficult to identify these children, especially with the new tests. So many of my students got 1's last year with the new test. These kids have had a little more time with Common Core and I feel we've prepared them better for certain parts of the test this year already but I still can't tell for sure. My principal gave some guidelines, but when I look at students I had fail last year and compare them to students who are similar levels this year, I wonder how much better this year's group will fail. My students didn't take state tests last year so there's nothing to look at except the practice tests the school gives but there's no way to no how closely those tests mirror the real test.

I'm torn between just listing any child who has a chance to fail just to cover myself and give some of their parents a wake up call (some of them need to be doing more at home or need to stay for the programs the school offers to help) and giving students (and myself) the benefit of the doubt that we'll be better prepared than we were last year. :(

3. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Jan 25, 2014

yes

We are sending letters next week. It isn't easy. I wrote a note on one-hard working child, but doesn't do well on tests!! I understand how you are feeling, some of the indicators are not always accurate. Good luck!