Promoting Books idea

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mathmagic, Oct 25, 2017.

1. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 25, 2017

Saw this on a blog last night, and realized I had promoted books / reading / shared about books in a wide variety of ways, but never in this way:

Cover/wrap the book, and then read the first page or two (or perhaps the blurb) to the kids. Raffle off the book to kids who might be interested in reading the book - but they have to be willing to give it a shot, regardless of the cover/title. This would work well for books that have that enthralling lead/intro, but might not be the most "popular" books for kids these days.

I took pictures of the first pages of a handful of books and plan on trying this out later this week -- I think sometimes kids (and adults!) tend to what they're familiar with or what looks "cool", missing out on some fun books...hopefully this will spark some discussion around trying books even if the cover/title itself doesn't grab our attention

Upsadaisy and Caesar753 like this.
  3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 25, 2017

I always do a "blind date with a book", and it's very popular among students. I don't include anything more than a one- or two-word genre description, but maybe photocopying the first page and attaching it to the front of the wrapped book might be a good idea. I wonder if that would be on the up and up as far as copyright laws and whatnot?

Upsadaisy likes this.
  4. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 25, 2017

I love your idea of actually having it available for them to see/read, and not just hearing it audibly.

Good question on the copyright laws. I'd imagine that if it's from a classroom copy, and it's solely being used on that book there (and within that classroom only), that there wouldn't be an issue. I'll have to look into that further, though!