Promethean Training--Need Ideas

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teachgrade5, Jun 6, 2011.

1. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jun 6, 2011

I am going to be training first grade teachers and middle & high school math teachers this week on the Promethean Board and the software ActivInspire. I have several ideas of what I am going to be doing, but I will be training from 8:00 to 3:00 with an hour lunch, and I want to make sure that I am going to have enough but not overwhelm them as they won't receive their boards until the start of the new school year in August.

If you have a Promethean, what training did you receive that you found to help you the most? What training had you wished you received after you started learning more about ActivInspire?

Thanks for your help!!:)

3. teachtilidrop

teachtilidrop New Member

Jun 6, 2011

What I needed to learn

If they are not getting the boards until August, it can be difficult to give effective training. I have watched several demonstrations on what the board can do. However, it frustrated me just to watch the rep having all types of problems with the board. She had one at her house and still calibrated constantly. I also got all my "training" a year before I got the board. I just don't remember what to do. My suggestion would be to have extensive hand outs on the "nuts and bolts" operations of the board. Don't show them every possibility of what the board can do. I have had mine for a year now, but having had no training for 2 years, it is practically useless to me. Summer training was canceled because of budget woes.
    So the short version---keep it simple and as much hands-on for the participants as possible---handouts they can access on-line.

Good Luck!

4. MrsKP

MrsKP Companion

Jun 6, 2011

Our training lasted all of about 20 minutes :p

I use ActivInspire daily in my classroom. I think the best course of action will be to spend most of the time teaching how to find and incorporate things that have already been created. Most teachers just don't have the time to spend hours creating intricate, interactive flip-charts.

Definitely teach how to import power point slides, because many teachers will already have power-point lessons created. Being able to use those same lessons and improve them a little with ActivInspire will help keep the boards from becoming a glorified projector. Teach where and how to find materials for free and how to use the "tools" (graph paper, ruler, compass, etc).

If your school has access to the "eggs", definitely spend some time teaching how to incorporate and use ActiVotes.

Other than that, try to give time to explore and play :)

5. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jun 6, 2011

Thank you for the ideas. I know how hard it is to have training from a trainer with just the board. Luckily, the teachers will each have a computer with ActivInspire, so they can start playing around with the program. As far as the board goes, the only thing they are getting are the boards and duel pens. The corporation doesn't have the money for the voters. Even if they did, I wouldn't do a training on the voters as that is a whole other training session.

So far I have developed a training flipchart that goes over the Dashboard, Profiles, Primary Look and Feel (since some first grade teachers will want to use this), the icons in the Toolbox, Using the Main Menu, and Desktop Annotate. I am planning on taking them to Promethean Planet to register, show them how to download flipcharts to use in their classrooms, and how to download a copy of ActivInspire to their home computers.

I have an entire day, and I want to make sure that I use all of the time given. I am getting paid to do the trainings and the teachers are receiving professional points towards the renewal of their licenses. I will be giving all the teachers a copy of the flipchart so they can refer back to it in the fall. I have done Promethean trainings before but it has been for teachers who have had a board in their classroom though last summer I met with a group of 4 teachers to go over the program with them before they received their boards. Thanks again for your suggestions.

6. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jun 6, 2011

Let us know how it goes. I will have to train my entire school in August, and I won't have a whole day! I love the suggestion to include how to import from Power Point (and Smart, since most of us will be coming from Smart Board schools).

7. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Jun 6, 2011

One of the tools that I use everyday is to import pdf files. Our reading series has quite a few pdf files that I can easily import to use for teaching. You can also import handwriting spelling sheets from Spelling City for a quick handwriting center for students.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 6, 2011

That's more training than we got! They installed the boards for us and then we were on our own.
    I have been to the Promethean Planet website and there are a few tutorials as well as some lessons. I have not gone through the whole site but it looks like a good resource.

9. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jun 7, 2011

Thanks for the ideas. I have been working on my training flipchart. I think I have some pretty good ideas and pages created already. I probably won't focus on importing Smart files as no one in our corporation has a Smartboard. I will show them how to import PowerPoint as I am sure the middle school and high school teachers use PowerPoint more than the first grade teacher.

I have never really imported PDFs into my flipcharts. I usually have them up on my computer and use annotate over desktop instead. I will have to look into doing this.

It sounds like a lot of people got a Promethean Board with no training. I am glad that my school corporation at least offers training for teachers. I know some of the teachers in my corporation complain about the lack of training but at least they are getting more than 20 minutes....that is silly!

10. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 7, 2011

I had a whole day training on basics a month ago. The instructor covered all basics from the beginning and incorporated a couple of activities that required the use of tools she taught.

It was simple, step by step, and at a very good pace. The trainer passed out a handbook that teachers could keep and use as a reference.

I think giving teachers enough opportunities for practice is very important and they will remember it better.

11. luckyal29

luckyal29 Companion

Jun 7, 2011

I went to the ActivInspire training. They basically went through all the buttons and basics of creating a flipchart and making it interactive. Most of the stuff they taught that day was stuff you could learn on your own if you were willing to spend the time.