Promethean Boards...SmartBoards..interactive white boards in your classroom?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Jill6, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Jill6

Jill6 Rookie

Jun 13, 2007

I was just curious on the prevalence of interactive white boards in elementary schools around the country. My district has one installed in every classroom and I absolutely love mine. Do you all use them?

3. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 13, 2007

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE. My ACTIVboard. Every 3-5 classroom has one. We also have a document camera in our rooms. You just put a piece of paper( say a worksheet, or even a rock) under it and it projects the image onto the screen. We all said good bye to our overheads.

4. MissMcCollum

MissMcCollum Companion

Jun 13, 2007

I was so excited to find out that I had two white boards in my room (as opposed to a white board and a chalk board). We must be a bit behind the times. :)

5. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jun 13, 2007

I just got an ACTIVboard at the end of this school year! I can't wait to start using it this fall. Any flipcharts?

6. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 13, 2007

I have created several flipcharts. Once you start using the ACTIVboard you will never again write on your white/chalk boards. Do you have access to the computer where the software is loaded? If so you can create flipcharts this summer. That's what I'll be doing.

7. dillpickle

dillpickle Rookie

Jun 13, 2007

Some teachers are getting them in our school. I have two white/chalk boards in my room. I think our lead teacher is getting the smart board for our grade to test it out.

8. Jill6

Jill6 Rookie

Jun 13, 2007

We have had the whiteboards for a couple years and we have made tons of flipcharts as a grade level, etc. We use Promethean activstudio. PM me if you're interested in swapping some flipcharts!! :)

9. Jill6

Jill6 Rookie

Jun 13, 2007

Where do you teach? I teach in Forsyth County. :)

10. Elcsmith

Elcsmith Companion

Jun 13, 2007

We have mimio boards in every classroom...basically the same thing. I love using them and it's great IW for the kiddos!

11. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 13, 2007

I'm just waiting until our district starts picking this up. We are pretty with it technology wise. Well, I know they do have smartboards in high school math, but not in elementary. They can be beneficial with the little guys too!!

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2007

We have 2 Smartboards in our school of over 700 students. A couple of teachers use them a few times a week, many don't use them at all (it is a pain to go and find one, it to your room, hooked up and ready to go). I love it when I have it though!

13. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2007

I am with you, I have white boards, too. I think SmartBoards are awesome, but none in our school.

14. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 14, 2007

Some schools still use chalkboards?

15. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2007

I have a document camera too, a projector that is hooked up to my laptop w/ surround sound, a dvd/vcr, and a wireless microphone set up in my room. Getting a smart board this summer hopefully.

16. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jun 14, 2007

I need to take my laptop to school and download the program from the server so I can create some this summer. I did one on the planets that incorporated a Venn diagram and a page that you sort the inner and outer planets. My kids really enjoyed it.

17. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2007

Man we are lucky to get a computer in our classroom. You guys with the interactive white boards are very lucky! Count those blessings.
    We have one digital camera to share with the entire school. I brought in my own Apple computer and digital video equipment to use with my kids for technology projects that work across all subject areas... behavior, social skills, functional academics, etc. I wish we had the money from the district to get us higher on the technology totem pole... anything that is dated past 1995 technology-wise in my classroom is either my own equipment or purchased with my own money.......

18. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2007

That is so strange to me- People in Texas (where I am from) always look at me like I am teaching in the backwoods. Besides the equipment I mentioned above, I also have 5 almost new imacs for the kids to use, a brand new mac laptop for me, and a digital camera for my classroom. Not bragging at all, just wanted to comment.

19. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 14, 2007

In my classroom there are 6 computers for the kids to use, a printer for them, and one for me. We just got new teacher laptops in May. Also every 3-5 classroom has a digital camera as well. I do count my blessing.

20. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jun 14, 2007

I just visited the school I'm moving to next year. I have 2 chalkboards and a very small whiteboard. The chances of getting a smartboard look slim...maybe I'll try writing a grant for one.

We have 2 new computers for the kids to use and I have a district issued laptop.

21. MissMcCollum

MissMcCollum Companion

Jun 14, 2007

Oh yes...only recently have many of the schools switched to white boards. Many of the schools in our district have been around for a long time, and the up grade to white boards in every school is expensive. All of the classrooms at my school have at least one white board and one chalk board. Like I said, I was ecstatic to find that I have two white boards. Simple pleasures...:p

22. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 14, 2007

Wow! I haven't seen a chalkboard in ages. Every room in my school has two whiteboards. I guess I'll have to tell the others to stop complaining about them not coming completely clean.

23. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Jun 14, 2007

Yes!!!!!
    Chalkboards and whiteboards and flip overs..
    I wish we had an overhead that worked.... That would be great! :rolleyes:

24. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jun 14, 2007

Yes, I love mine and I couldn't live without it! Here is a link to the interactive whiteboard page on my website for those who don't know what they are: Vanna's Interactive Whiteboard page Our district currently has them in about 40 classrooms and is slowly phasing them into every classroom, but it's going to take awhile since we have 28 elementaries and several middle and high schools.

25. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jun 14, 2007

You can find thousands and thousands of free flipcharts to download at Promethean Planet It's free to register and then go to resources, LOTS of great stuff there! I also have some on my interactive whiteboard page- see link in other post, but they're all for the Pre-K/Kindergarten levels:)

26. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jun 14, 2007

I had to request that they replace the chalkboard in my classroom where I am moving with a whiteboard since I am allergic to chalkdust. I am taking an e-learn class right now at the county office and I had the chance to talk to the technology coordinator this morning and hinted strongly that we needed smartboards (hey the man asked what we wanted :rolleyes: ) he SAID that they were going to actually work on getting that accomplished in the near future. I wonder how "near" he means since I currently have 2 computers in the classroom (have to share one with the kids) and if I want to have my grade program available I have to take my personal laptop (of course I have no internet on it if I do). I wish we were as "technosavvy" here as we were back home or as up to date as Jill and sasha's counties appear to be.

27. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2007

I have a document camera, a projector that is hooked up to my computer with surround sound in my classroom, a dvd/vcr, a wireless microphone and a Polyvision Board (just another version of a Smartboard). There are only 2 setups like this in my district and one is in my room. Needless to say I will never change classrooms. I use all of it daily and NEVER use my whiteboard anymore. I actually gave away all my whiteboard markers because I never used them.

28. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 14, 2007

I guess you could always have the kids use dry erase markers on individual white boards!