Promethean Board

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jen84, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Oct 31, 2015

I have a Promethean board in my classroom. At the beginning of the year the technology coordinator was able to calibrate my board by placing the pen up the flame. A few weeks ago a student was swinging her lunchbox and hit the board. As a result, the screen became very blurry. I unplugged the cords from my laptop, plugged them back in, and the screen went back to normal. However, the pen was no longer aligned to the cursor. I have tried calibrating it again by holding the pen to the flame and by clicking on the Activboard icon on my computer, but neither one works. The technology coordinator is currently out of town, so I was wondering if anyone knows what I am doing wrong. Also, back when I was able to use the pen, I had to push extremely hard on the board in order for it to work (often times causing it to make loud screeching sounds and gaps in the writing). My students always became frustrated when they used the pen because it was so much trouble. For those that have a Promethean board, is this normal? Thanks in advance.

3. Rox

Rox Cohort

Nov 2, 2015

I had a promethean board previously and I recall there was something in the bottom right corner of the screen that I could click with my mouse to calibrate the screen. Although with Windows 8, that might be different now. My pens were very sensitive, so it doesn't sound like yours ever worked correctly.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Nov 3, 2015

I used a Promethean board with a Mac, and you could either hover over the symbol or force it to calibrate it on the computer. It sounds as if you have done both of these, so I really don't know what else to do. I'd try unplugging everything on Friday before you leave and plugging it in on Monday. Maybe then you can force it to calibrate.

Also, you definitely should not have had to press hard with your pen. Honestly, that will probably damage it over time with scratches, which will cause the pen to jump, or worse, the board to stop working. I could hover the pen a 1/16 of an inch or so away and write with it or move the cursor.