Promethean Board Installation

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bdd, Aug 10, 2012.

1. bdd

bdd Rookie

Aug 10, 2012

I recently obtained a Promethean ActivBoard Fixed System (with projector), and I'm wondering if people think that a Certified installer is necessary, or if I should try to do it myself (with help from a friend)?

It's the large one (595 = 95 inch?).

My concern is that certified installation will cost 500-1000. The board itself cost 8000+700 shipping. I don't have the money for a certified installation, so it'll have to be delayed for donation requests ($).

Thanks for your feedback!

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 10, 2012

I would wait unless you have a warranty that says if you destroy it while putting it up they will: give you a new one, pay for its shipping, and pay to ship the old one back.

Are you the leader of the school? Otherwise I'm not sure why this would even be your problem. Did they tell you they won't pay to have it installed?

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2012

It took them several HOURS to install my board and they were 'professionals'. We installed them about 8 at a time, and it would take them the whole week to get the 8 in. Some were harder than others.
    I know it costs a lot of money, but I would not do it myself. :2cents:

5. cindy lou

cindy lou Rookie

Aug 10, 2012

installation

I think you have to wait.

We got several promethean boards at our school last summer and were waiting for our tech contractor to put them together before September. When they finally got around to it, they found no instructions or other installation documents to help them. We came to find out that there were none available because we had to find certified promethan tech guys to do the job. Not only because there were no directions, but because any warranty would be void if anyone else did the job.

We are a small private school, so we had to find the money somewhere.

Long story short, the boards were not installed until close to Christmas, and the money set aside for promethean PD went to the promethan certified company.

6. bdd

bdd Rookie

Aug 10, 2012

Thanks! I'll definitely wait and have it installed by a certified person then.

To answer AlwaysAttend's question--I obtained this board through grants and donations myself. My school didn't even know I was doing this until it arrived at our office. I don't see why they'd be liable to pay for its installation (plus I work at a school without the financial means anyway).

Again, much appreciated. Have a great Friday...

PS: There are installation guides online.

7. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 10, 2012

I would have some fundraisers or something then to pay for the installation if your admin can't find the money. Maybe even contact a local community organization and see if they'd be willing to chip in.

8. Marks

Marks New Member

Aug 12, 2012

Promethean installation

Installing yourself WILL NOT void the warranty. Certified installation does add 2 years to the board warranty though. It does not add to the projector warranty which is 3 years.

9. bdd

bdd Rookie

Aug 14, 2012

I got a price quote for the install, and it was 800something! Has anyone installed the board with success? The one that is fixed to the wall, including projector.

Thanks!

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2012

I haven't installed one myself, but I watched as one was installed. It was a very lengthy and involved process that involved lots of drilling and lots of cords. After seeing how intense the installation process is, I'd happily pay $800 to have someone else do it.

11. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 14, 2012

I was going to agree that sounded like a fair quote. Imagine how difficult it is to hang a painting correctly. Now factor in the weight and requirements to make sure everything is connected and lined up correctly. For what the boards worth I would say you shouldn't try this yourself.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2012

Plus it took a team of 3 people about 5 hours to instal mine! I couldn't imagine attempting it myself. :eek:

13. bdd

bdd Rookie

Aug 18, 2012

I received two quotes. One for 820 and one for 500. I went with 500, and 2 people installed it in about 2 hours. With the right tools and help (you'd need at least 2 people and a ladder + toolbox), I bet I could have done it! But having certified installers does expand the warranty to 3 years.

14. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 18, 2012

Did the school pay or did you bite the bullet and pay yourself?

15. bdd

bdd Rookie

Aug 19, 2012

Had to bite the bullet, and had family pay.

16. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 21, 2012

Well you saw it go up. If they ever ask you to leave you probably can't take it with you but you know how to take it down :lol:

17. bdd

bdd Rookie

Aug 22, 2012

haha. but it's for the students! if i'm asked to leave, i hope the next teacher will put it to good use! i'm more worried the summer school teacher next year will damage it.

18. Rox

Rox Cohort

Aug 22, 2012

Was the cost of installation included with the price paid for the board?

We had two guys install it over 8 hours. It included drilling, stepladders, and special equipment, as well as ordering extra parts because we have a high ceiling. Then, they moved my classroom, so they had the district contractor move it. He made several errors: it wasn't even working when I tried to turn it on, he hooked up a couple of cables wrong, broke a part on the projector, and installed the projector too close to the screen. This was a guy who "installs smartboards all the time".

I'd fundraise or pay personal money to have professional guys do it.

19. bdd

bdd Rookie

Mar 18, 2014

Almost 2 years later and I just saw your post Rox. Sorry for the delay. Hope it's still helpful to receive a response.

No, installation was not included in the price for the board. The board was obtained through a Donors Choose project (there was some crazy(good) support from a TV show)!