Prom Talk

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Apr 7, 2009.

1. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Apr 10, 2010

I went to both proms and had fun, nothing very memorable. I have since found out that my senior prom date has died in an accident, which is very sad considering he was only 27 at the time.

2. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Apr 10, 2010

I didn't go to my prom either. I can honestly say, I don't regret it. I almost went, but didn't. Friends often said that the best part was getting ready and having a nice dinner. But the prom itself wasn't so great. I have no regrets.

3. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Apr 10, 2010

I agree! :)

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 10, 2010

I went to a lot of proms in high school. Our school was small, so the whole school was invited. Then, junior and senior year I went to both my boarding school prom and my homeschool prom. My boarding school had three formal dances each year. I also went to another school's prom with a friend, so 7 proms and 4 other formal dances. If I can find pictures I'll post them later!

5. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Apr 10, 2010

I went to my Senior prom with my boyfriend at that time. My close friend and I got ready together...I did an updo with a tiara (and I wasn't even on prom court...I'm just naturally a princess lol). My dress was straight, dark purple, and had diamond spaghetti straps. I'm tall, but the dress was way long so to fix that I wore 4 inch silver glittery platform shoes (with the hair and the shoes I was over 6 feet tall! Luckily the boy was tall!) 4 other couples and their parents all came to my house to take pre-prom photos, a limo took us to the dance which was over an hour away in Palm Springs. The dance was tons of fun! When we got home we all went to Denny's since it was around 3am. Good times! :)

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2010

I don't know why I even have an opinion, but I've always thought proms should be at the school.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 10, 2010

I went to both my junior and senior proms.

For my junior prom I took a friend from band class. He was a year younger, but he wanted to go to prom. I didn't have a date, so I took him. I remember not beign happy with my dress because I wanted a black strapless one. There were few options for dresses at the time, adn the woman at the first store told me that girls my size (12 & busty) and girls with my skin tone (very fair) didn't wear strapless or black. I ended up with a ruffly pale green dress. It was fine, just not what I wanted.

My senior year I didn't have a date. I wanted to take a cute friend from band , but his mom wouldn't let him go . . . since he was only in 8th grade. And that year I got my black, strapless dress, too!

8. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Apr 10, 2010

I went to my schools prom all 4 years I was in high school (I went to private school) and I went to the prom at the public high school in my city all 4 years. My senior prom was almost my worst because my boyfriend (we had been dating for over 2 years at the time) and I broke up the week before. We still went to the prom together--which was a big mistake. We went out to eat and took pictures. We got to the prom and fought so he decided to leave. I stayed with my friends and called a guy friend to come meet me and we had the best time. I never picked up the prom pictures from the photographer. My kids have all been different. My oldest daughter went to all her high school dances and proms but my middle daughter hated dances and only went to her senior prom because her friends made her. So she took a guy friend with her that is gay and they had a great time. My son went to his first prom tonight (and he looked great). FB friends, there will be pics up of him very soon.

9. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Apr 10, 2010

The week of my junior prom I found out my boyfriend and BEST friend were getting a little too close, so needless to say I broke things off. They went to prom together the next year and dated for quite awhile.
    I went to senior prom with a serious boyfriend and had a blast. In southern California, all the girls wore rented pageant gowns. Think shoulder pads, sequins, the whole thing. I was a new student so I wore a classic black gown, which was typical in Arizona. Dinner was on your own, and the dance was held in a beautiful civic center in Irvine.

10. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2010

Best prom was my senior one.

Held at the Fountainbleu in Miami.
    Song was "The Long and Winding Road".
    Went with my boyfriend who was on leave from the Army. He wore his dress uniform. He was from North Carolina, and had a beautiful southern drawl. (Oh, my!)

11. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2010

I went all four years--always with a group of girls who didn't have dates. Freshman year we decided we were going a few days before; we actually went to Pizza Hut for dinner before the dance. Sophomore year was the best. We went bowling after in our dresses :) Junior year I got to buy a dress--it was light blue with a big poufy tulle skirt. I was sick, though, and miserable most of the night. Senior year I was going to go with some friends again, but my brother (a sophomore) sprained his ankle that afternoon and was on crutches. I ended up driving him and his date...

12. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 10, 2010

never went...was covering for a friend that wasn't supposed to go due to strict parents
    don't care that I didn't go...didn't like that school much anyway
    had much more memorable things happen during the year to make up for a dance...

13. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Apr 10, 2010

I never went to prom. My group of friends attempted to convince me to go. I didn't want to go solo even if going with a group of friends. The guy I had planned to go with was being wishy washy about our plans. I ended up spending the day with a close friend and our other friend, MJ. :)

14. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 10, 2010

Never went to Junior or Senior prom. Too shy to go.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2010

I went to my Junior prom.

For my Senior Prom, I was attending Speech and Debate National Finals in Detroit. I had worked HARD in forensics for 4 years, and wasn't dating anyone anyway, so it was an easy choice.

We had a blast in Detroit, even if I did have bronchitis/ laryngitis. (Translation: I didn't do very well in a SPEECH contest without a voice!!!) I slept in the bathtub so my constant coughing wouldn't keep my roommates awake and kill their chances of doing well.

But a bunch of us had some free time; we went shopping (ON A SUNDAY!! when there were blue laws in NY) and I bought a yellow raincoat.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 11, 2010

I'm in southern CA & my school didn't march in. We walked in the main room as as we arrived & that was that.:)

What a rough night, but I'm glad it was better in the end!

I'm in southern CA & I never heard of the gals (at my HS anyway) renting gowns. What a small world, my prom was held at the Irvine Mariott Hotel.

17. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Apr 11, 2010

I ran track, so I know exactly what you mean, Jem!

I went to prom my junior and senior years. I grew up near the Biltmore Estate, so all the area schools had their proms on the property at one of the restaurants. It always seemed really magical to us!

Junior Year:
    I went with my boyfriend at the time. It was all right, but he had been acting kind of weird all night. I figured out why a week later. He wanted to break up, but didn't have the heart to do it before prom. Bleh. Not sure what he's up to these days.

Senior Year:
    I went with a boy who was a good friend. We had been dating on-and-off again, but it never turned into anything. We had stayed close friends, though, and decided to go together. We went with a group of our friends and had such a blast! My birthday was the same weekend as prom, so my date had the waiters sing to me, which was so embarrassing, but sweet of him. We all stayed at a friend's house that night and stayed up watching movies and had a huge breakfast the next morning. It was so much fun!

18. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 12, 2010

I went to all four proms... different guys. Well, Junior year by myself, but I helped decorate & had some many friends it dint' matter!!!

I got all my dresses that a local school would have prom dress sales to resell dresses!!! Hair done by friends or family. My one friend apologized for the big bangs (remember when they were big) because they looked like hers & I remember the tons of aresol hairspray...sorry Earth!!!

Jem & Sunny... I so remember running track & hoping to get home in time to get ready for prom!!! UGH!!! I did!!!

I had so much fun at all of them with my friends!!!

19. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Apr 12, 2010

I went as a sophmore with a senior I dated. Then my Jr. year I went with another sr. He was not my "dream" date. I didn't know that he was dating someone thats parents wouldn't let go. So when he picked me up, he said "I need to make a stop." The stop was so his girlfriend could "see" us.

Then my Senior year I went with a group of girls. No date, I had a blast.

20. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Apr 12, 2010

I went my Freshman year with a boy. I was prom committe chairman my Junior year and was stood up so I went by myself. I went with another boy my senior year.

I have been married almost 10 years to the boy I went to prom with my freshman year. :)

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 12, 2010

That's really something!

22. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Apr 12, 2010

I went to my senior prom and thought it was a joke! lol I don't really remember much other than I loved how my hairdresser did my hair.

I remember being at prom thinking...in a week you'll be in Europe. haha And wow...these people I thought were going to be good friends..not so much!

HOWEVER! All my Military Ball's. They will trump a prom any day! WAY much more fun, better atmosphere..WAY less drama and cattiness. Those who don't know what a Military Ball is, it's basically prom for band kids.

23. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Apr 12, 2010

DS is going to his prom this year. He is a jr. So far, $70 for 2 prom tickets and $65 for tux and shoes ( I found a deal!) Now I need to order the corsage and find out about photos. He has no idea about his plans for dinner before or after.

The prom is at a venue an hour away so I will be keeping all the kids who are on the road that night in my prayers.

24. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Apr 12, 2010

At my prom, my boyfriend of 3 years asked if it would be all right for him to ask his old girlfriend to dance!! In front of her! That pretty much sums up the evening.

A couple months later, her prom date and I went out for a while. Sheesh. How I would love to deal with that situation with what I now know!

25. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Apr 13, 2010

Didn't go to the Junior prom, but was excited about the Senior one. About a week before, a large group of our senior boys (football players, the rich kids, the elite clique) though it would be a hoot to go out and destroy things and our principal thought the way to deal with it was to cancel prom. What was he thinking? It ruined the end of the year for everyone.

26. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Apr 13, 2010

Mine went last weekend. Tux $119, tickets to prom $25, ticket to after prom $35, and dinner $50. Plus the flowers $20 and the party bus because I didn't want my 16 year old driving an hour each way after being up all night. Wow, and the girls thought their dresses were high. Boys are suppose to be cheaper.

My first thought was how do parents afford this??? Am I the only one that thinks that things have gotten out of control?

27. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Apr 13, 2010

I actually bought the tux so we will have it in case he goes next year. He has tried it on twice so far! :lol:

I miss the good old days of having the prom in the school gym. We spent hours decorating. That was almost as much fun as the prom itself!

28. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 13, 2010

In my early 20s, my BF at the time became a Marine & I had the opportunity to attend 3 Marine Corps balls (3 yrs in a row). They were all nice, I loved them!