Prom "Proposals"

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms.H, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Ms.H

Ms.H Companion

Apr 8, 2013

I think this is a "time out" question-- it's related to school, but not really teaching.

What do you think of the trend of HS guys planning public and sometimes elaborate ways to ask girls to prom? (Lunch-room seranades, signs on highways/billboards, treasure hunts-- lots probably on youtube.) Some of their "prom proposals" are far more elaborate than my marriage proposal (which is fine with me)! This wasn't really something that was done back when I was in HS, and I kind of go back and forth on it.

On one hand, it seems like harmless fun, and they come up with some really creative ideas.

On the other hand, I feel like it's starting to become an expectation for the guys to come up with something creative and public, and I feel badly for those who are a little less confident and outgoing and might choose not to go rather than have to plan some crazy stunt just to ask. I also think of those who aren't being asked, who now have to watch person after person get asked rather than just hearing about it. Finally, I know girls like to feel special, but it seems like expecting the guy to put on some kind of a show to ask them is a little self-serving, in that they want everyone to see it. It just seems like the whole thing becomes more about the asking than the actual event (which, however, I know is part of the fun, too).

I was questioning the practice today, and was made to feel like quite a curmudgeon-- it's not that I think it shouldn't be done, but I don't like that it seems to be expected. What do you think?

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 8, 2013

That's huge this year. Not a fan...

4. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Apr 8, 2013

I teach middle school, and the "who's dating who" drama is already bad enough. I can't imagine attempting to teach after a teenage boy asked a teenage girl to prom by swinging from the rafters while belting out "What Makes You Beautiful" or some other ridiculous dog and pony show...

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Apr 8, 2013

Ours are cute and not overdone IMO. I like them.

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Apr 8, 2013

Some of these "prom-posals" are cute, but they can be overdone. It's hard enough getting seniors settled down enough to work during the last quarter, but when everyone is chattering about the latest stunt, it's really tough.

7. Ms.H

Ms.H Companion

Apr 8, 2013

:spitwater:Great image. Yes, I didn't even mention the distraction angle.

And I hadn't heard the term prom-posals before!

8. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Apr 8, 2013

My daughter felt a lot of pressure to accept an invitation because he went all out but she told me later that she didn't really want to go.

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 9, 2013

I think they are completely ridiculous. For Pete's sake, they are asking a girl to a DANCE! Most of them are more elaborate than my marriage proposal.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 9, 2013

Is that what HS kids are doing these days? I have no way of knowing since I'm never in contact with HS kids. Well, overall, I don't think there's anything wrong with it if guys want to do that. But it's certainly something that can go overboard if they're not careful. I say they should spend more of that creativity (& money) on making the prom night itself special!

11. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Apr 9, 2013

A girl pulled off one in my classroom (I didn't know it until it was unfolding). It turned out very awkward because the guy already had a date.

I must say, the guy handled it very kindly, but it was still extremely awkward.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2013

Last year, my daughter was sent on a "treasure hunt" through the neighbourhood. At the end, she found her prom date with a rose. It was pouring rain, so he was in constant text communication with Lauren's best friend, who was with her, so that he could stay one step ahead, but not so far ahead that the clues weren't ruined. It was lots of fun and I was appreciative of the fact that it didn't happen during school hours.