Projector

Discussion in 'General Education' started by WarriorPrncss, Jul 28, 2015.

1. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Jul 28, 2015

Hello all... my classroom is equipped with a ceiling mounted projector.

I would LOVE to have a digital projector, but will have to purchase my own. I've googled it with less than desirable results, I've searched ebay for what I can think of...

Does anyone have any suggestion? I'm looking for something like an ELMO.

3. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2015

I think what you're looking for is a document camera. Try using that as your search term.

4. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Jul 28, 2015

Honestly, I would hesitate buying anything electronic or technology for the classroom, unless it's under $100, for fear that it would break/get stolen and the school would not be responsible for damages/loss of personal propery. Teachers should never have to buy their own instructional technology. I know some teachers at my school who bring in their own laptops despite the fact that our school provides them. That's risky to me. Can you see if you can apply for a grant? I've heard of many teachers getting approved for small grants for their classroom.
    I bought a clicker for my power points (nice one for $30 on amazon) and one kid grabbed it off my desk and dropped it. It broke and I will have to buy a new one. I probably could see if I could PO it through my department for next year.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2015

If it's a document camera you want, look at Ipevo--no bells and whistles, but reliable and a good price.

6. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2015

ICAM.

I am sorry but I refuse to buy my own tech equipment - just on principle alone. Hell-to-the-naw!!!

7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 28, 2015

Hit up DonorsChoose, and then send parents a letter with the link to the project page. You shouldn't have to buy something like that on your own.

8. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 28, 2015

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 28, 2015

They gave you a LCD protector but no ELMO? :dizzy:

I've always thought those two went hand-in-hand...

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2015

My old school had ActivBoards and projectors, but not a single document camera on campus.

11. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 28, 2015

I've only encountered one document cam, and it was when the district was testing them out in a few classrooms during one of my field experiences (2012). They had projectors will pulldown screens (hooked up to the teacher's old, old computer) long before they got SMART Boards, which they got in every classroom in 2010.

12. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 29, 2015

Do you have an iPad? We use that like a document camera. They make stands for them. You just put it in the picture taking mode. This would only be a cheaper option if you already have the iPad, though. You could do this with Apple TV ($69 right now) or Reflector, which is an app ($15). You need very good wifi for Reflector. I'm not sure how much the stands are.

13. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Jul 29, 2015

I'm really interested in this. I wish I had a document camera, but at this point I'm not willing to buy one myself. I do have a projector hooked up to my computer, and an iPad... can you explain a little more about how this would work?

14. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 29, 2015

Nope.

Maybe more so in elementary schools. But secondary schools around here use projectors to deliver lectures via Powerpoint. No need for a doc camera.

I bought my own document camera and the PTA found out and reimbursed me part of the costs. That thing comes home with me every summer ;)

15. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Jul 29, 2015

Me too! I have 2 pads, a personal iPad, and then one that my credential program required me to get to use specifically for the program. (Really, it's just a HUGE pain because we do a lot of video and the file transferring... :dizzy: ) But, I already planned to have one in the classroom for our library check out, so I could use it for this, too.

I know... we're a new school. I know were suppose to be a private performing arts school and then something happened and they were forced to go public... I don't really know they story, just that the first year everything they had was donated or purchased by teachers, so big items like this are few and far between. I get an allowance at Office Depot, and found a couple low end projectors there, otherwise, Donors Choose would be great, a couple teachers have things up right now and I didn't even think of it!

Right?!

16. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2015