Project ideas

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by demijasmom, Jan 18, 2011.

1. demijasmom

demijasmom Companion

Jan 18, 2011

I recently starting working at a school that is project based. I teach 1st grade. I need some suggestions for projects for Math Social Studies, Lang.arts. So far I've done science projects and a lang arts project called "traveling with nouns" the students had a contruction paper suitcase. They had to locate nouns in magazines, sale ads etc. and glue them on and list the nouns in a catergory such as animal, place, thing and person.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 18, 2011

Math...you could always do a project on patterning, maybe looking for patterns in the world. Have the student make a fact book for their addition facts with pictures to practice at home.

Social Studies....maybe have the students create a small town out of boxes or construction paper. You could label the building in the town and the people who would work there.

LA...Make any class books on books that you read. Have them do a reading passport-read different books from around the world.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jan 18, 2011

We do a lot of reading response projects for Lang arts-they make a project showing the plot or main idea (we did papier mache peaches for James and the Giant Peach, for example-they illustrated the plot inside) and then they write about it-which brings in the language arts.

If you can get your hands on Dinah Zike's books-there are many ideas for the other subject areas. She has a whole book on Math (I think that's the hardest area to come up with proejcts for) and one on Social Studies. They could make funky 3-D timelines for Social Studies or a hanger biography-they make the person out of construction paper around the hanger and then write about what their contribution was. This is an example we did as a reading response but it would totally translate to history:

5. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2011

What about a Cereal Box Book Project??? Always a big hit when I was a 2nd grade teacher and even now as a 3rd grade teacher!

6. demijasmom

demijasmom Companion

Jan 19, 2011

youngteacher226

Can you explain the cereal box project a little further please?

7. demijasmom

demijasmom Companion

Jan 19, 2011

Thank you so much for the suggestions and resource book.

8. bondo

bondo Cohort

Jan 19, 2011

For Social studies I have done dioramas. They are really fun adn the kids seem to enjoy them. I usually assign the diorama for the family unit. Have fun with your projects.

9. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2011

Yes! If you google "cereal box book reports" you'll get a list of links that explains it completely. Basically the students read a book and instead of a typical paper and pencil book report, they create a cereal box book report using a cereal box to display parts of the report. For example, they would cover the box with colored construction paper, then write the summary, problem/solution etc. on a template. Those templates are cut out and glued onto the cereal box, on the top, sides and on the back. I will post a link.
    http://www.katieandkimbleblog.com/KK--cereal-box-book-reports.jpg
    Also here is the link to the templates on Beth Newingham's website:
    http://hill.troy.k12.mi.us/staff/bnewingham/myweb3/cereal_box_book_report.htm

They are really fun to do and the kids love it! And it's an easy project for parents to do at home.