Project ideas for 7th grade math?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by WyrtWicce, Jul 24, 2019.

1. WyrtWicce

WyrtWicce New Member

Jul 24, 2019

Greetings! I've been brainstorming this summer, and I'm stuck on my second unit: one-variable two-step equations and inequalities.

I like to give my students two homework options: rote practice work nightly, and a week-long project. My classes are highly differentiated, and I like being able to provide my creative and gifted kids an option, plus anyone who wants the challenge.

However, working with these equations and inequalities, I'm having some trouble coming up with interesting, real-world-applicable projects. Any ideas are welcome, and thanks in advance!

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 28, 2019

Have them create a Khan Academy style, 5 minute video explaining the concept with a set number of examples. It might not be a real world connection to the content itself, but it will provide integration to other content (and if any of them are good, then you'll have a terrific tool for end of year review).

Obadiah and TrademarkTer like this.
  4. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jul 29, 2019

I like gr3teacher's idea. I also like moving them away from the idea that everything has to have a real-life application, especially if those things end up being a stretch (as many of the textbook's word problems often are....). This helps breed the question "When will we use this in real life?" to which I often respond, "It's beautiful, like art, just appreciate it for what it is...."

Out of curiosity, how many of your gifted students generally opt for the project option? I've found when I offer stuff like that as an option, the stronger students would prefer to just do the rote practice work because it's so quick and easy for them.