Project Feeder Watch-

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by WaProvider, Apr 4, 2009.

1. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Apr 4, 2009

Has anyone ever done this Bird Count process in their classrooms? How did it work out? Did you enjoy it. It seems to be rather quick. 2 days of counting, no counting for 5 days then 2 more days of counting.

This is at the www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw website if you would like to look.

3. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Apr 5, 2009

I've never heard of it--- however we try to discourage any birds form hanging aroundoru center becasue we have such a horrible issue with crows. We have actually had crows destroy our window screens and even attack the mirrors of our cars! The local wildlife authorities ahve told us it si probalby becasue crows are so territorial and when they see their reflection they think it's a strange bird and try to attack it! We have to make sure we hang things in our windows to break up reflections etc in both our classrooms and our cars!

4. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Apr 5, 2009

Wow, we have crows (they eat out of the garbage cans at the public school 8 building away) and we have sea gulls (funny since we are so dry here - 4 hrs from coast). Neither have ever gotten violent, though. Guess we are lucky.

We are just talking about chickadees, house finches, wrens and goldfinches.

Sorry about your scary birds.

Did you see "The Birds" by Hitchcock?

5. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Apr 5, 2009

Yes, I ahve and I swear one day I got to school and there were so many crows on the ridge of main roof I felt like I was int hat movie-- that was aroudn the same time we found all our screens had been destroyed and they were attacking our cars

6. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Apr 5, 2009

Scary.* I see why you can't have feeders.* Maybe they are more defensive by the public school here - since they eat the trash there.* But I am happy they don't concern themselves with bird food here.* Apparently they would much rather have hamburger buns!!

7. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Apr 5, 2009

If you decide to do this, let us know how it goes. I think it's a great idea, but I'm trying to figure out how to add in "one more thing" during the year.

8. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Apr 5, 2009

I am thinking the numeral identification would be challenged here. "How many birds do you see?" "3, how do you write a 3".

Also, it is leading into the science journaling that we do in Washington State in lower Elm.

One thing I like is that it offers a way to talk about eggs and birds w/o Easter Bunnies and Chicks getting in the way. I am hoping that it doesn't take on a life of it's own.

9. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Apr 6, 2009

We have a horrible crow problem in our city. Huge flocks fly from school to school to scavange after lunch. The city council is talking about ways to get rid of them. I have 6 bird feeders in my backyard. The crows don't go near them or disturb the other birds.

We have a bird feeder in our playground, but the windows in my class are "frosted" so we can't see outside. I'm thinking of signing up for my home.

Thanks for another great idea!

10. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Apr 6, 2009

Oh, our crows don't bother our feeder either.......perhaps that is why.