Project Based Schedule Help?!?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by teach24iam, Jan 21, 2013.

1. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Jan 21, 2013

Hi there! I was offered a job as a director in a new pre-school that is going to use a project based curriculum.. I have never used this before and always used pre-published curriculum. I have NO problem with this method or theory, but am having trouble developing a daily schedule... does anyone have one I can look at as a reference and ideas? Thanks so much! :)

3. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Jan 21, 2013

anyone?

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2013

In the Reggio environment I am familiar with, they called it a "Flow of the Day." You have an order of the day, but aren't stuck with specific times so that if the kids are super interested in something, you can extend that portion of the day. Imo, it is still important to have some type of structure - free play, snack time, nap, etc. but just be more flexible about the when and where, if needed.

With a project-based curriculum, it is about not setting themes in advance but following children's interests and creating the experiences as you go along. Projects emerge from their interests and may last much longer than regular themes (or die a quick death from non-interest.) They often morph into something different than you started with, and often mean studying something much more in depth than you would with a 1 week theme as many schools do.

I am somewhere in the middle. If Blue answers, she has more experience with this format.

5. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Jan 22, 2013

Thanks! That is the problem, I have been a teacher for 15 years with the "weekly theme" approach and now going in to lead a center with this new approach, which I understand and agree with, but am struggling to help teachers understand how to make it work, having never done it. I understand it, believe in it, just don't know how to make it work schedule wise for them....do you have a class schedule and what does it look like if you don't mind?

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2013

I am just a 3 hour program, so I doubt it would help you. Sorry but do searches for project-based and reggio schools. There are some good websites out there. Hopefully, someone at the school has experience with this approach. Good staff training and time built in weekly or daily so teachers can talk about it and plan are important components to a program like this. It is hard to do on your own, and extrememly difficult for new teachers.

7. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jan 22, 2013

When my project type school was open we were required to post a typical daily schedule by law....and we did. It read just like all other programs and we followed it, but we did it at the kids pace. So:

arrive
    wash/set table/eat/wash/teeth
    free play
    greet other friends as they arrive
    walk some of the elder children to programming (school)
    recess or return to free exploration time
    circle
    small group teaching time
    recess
    group lunch prep
    lunch
    nap

and so on. You know, the order of a regular day. The thing is that the room is set up so the children are working on their project work during those times that they think they are playing. We were really working hard, even though our schedule said we "played" all the time.

We never uninterrupted the children to have circle or to eat, we did have to get the eldest to programming on time and the buses for field trips obviously don't wait. Other than those limited circumstances we moved through our flow (like yoga) as we were ready...and you know what the kids really did a pretty good job staying on schedule.

8. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Jan 22, 2013

Thanks Wa.... when you say "project" is this like a "theme" the class comes up with, like say "weather" or "insects", then your class centers revolve around that theme? I am not sure why I am having such a hard time grasping this.. I have looked up sites, but for whatever reason, nothing is comprehending for me.. lol.. must of been a long week already :(

9. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jan 22, 2013

As I understand it, the project approach limits the time that the teacher in imparting the lesson material and gives that time to the children who are learning said material by using it to work toward mastery. There is a ton of post lesson documentation in this line of work. I loved this realm, but I am not an authority, nor have I seen anyone else's program that ran this way.

Yes, the class works on the lesson choosing together but it is a choosing that is done by watching the children and going with what interests them, not by asking and chart filling out.

Red Leaf press does have a book about this plan, and with little exception we were working like they illustrated. However, we had our summary field trip at the beginning...not the end.