Project Based assessments

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by forensicteacher, Oct 16, 2008.

1. forensicteacher

forensicteacher Rookie

Oct 16, 2008

How do you do Project based Assessment?
    Also, can anyone give me examples of "coaching" in the classroom instead of teacher center instruction. Thanks

3. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Oct 17, 2008

For me it really depends on the type of project I am doing and what I expect from my students. It also depends on the maturity level of my kids. What I've found most beneficial is to give students benchmarks to meet. Breaking down a large project makes it easier and reduces the amount of kids who leave it to the last minute to complete. Also, be clear in your expectations and how you will grade the project.

4. njmarketing07

njmarketing07 Rookie

Oct 18, 2008

In response to your "coaching"...

This is a great idea that I think more teachers should use. I think teaching and coaching are the same thing. Think of it this way, a "coach" in sports is someone who gives you the tools you need in order to complete a play. So what you as the "teacher" should do is give the students the guidelines needed to complete the task, but allow them to do it. Allow them to demonstrate the lessons. You can also have teams in the classroom with captains. Just like in sports. This gives them a sense of involvement and you can sit back and watch them understand the lesson, rather than you being at the board all the time.

5. forensicteacher

forensicteacher Rookie

Oct 19, 2008

Thanks , your responses are very helpful.