Project About Families

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by KinderCowgirl, Aug 5, 2014.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 5, 2014

So we like to do a project in class at the end of each unit where the students can apply what they are learning in different ways. I'm trying to plan ahead a little bit and decide what I want to do for the theme of Families. Family trees tend to go over their heads and since many do not know the real names of family members-they all end up looking the same-Mom, Dad, Grandma, Grandpa.

I'm looking for a different idea--any ideas?

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 6, 2014

We did a fun project once for Grandparents Day at our school. We took a survey of all the classes and asked the kids what they called their grandmothers and grandfathers. We got a wider variety of answers than we thought we would. We then graphed the number of nanas, papas, memaws, pepaws, grammies, etc.

The theme could be that families are people who love and help each other. This would help children who have non-traditional family structures.

They have those inexpensive die-cut cutouts of people that you could use and have the children decorate them to look like their own parents or grandparents.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 6, 2014

On a side note, one year my nephew's class had to answer the question, "How do you know your mother loves you?" My nephew's answer was, "Her kisses me on the lips." My sister had that little note on her refrigerator for about 10 years! You could make a class book with kids' responses to questions about families.

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 6, 2014

One thing I did with my personal children might work with a class.

I had my kids pick an extended family member and interview them. BUT, they had to guess what the answers would be before they asked them. So they wrote down some questions, wrote down what they suspected the answers would be (as all good journalists do anyhow!) and then wrote down the actual answers.

One that I remember was addressed to my child's great-grandmother. He asked her what her favorite game was when she was his age. He was about six or so at the time. He guessed she would say Mario Brothers because it came out on the OLD Nintendo, lol. I think she answered hopscotch.

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 6, 2014

I like those ideas-thank you very much!