Progressive lenses - help

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by lemonhead, Jul 15, 2009.

1. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 15, 2009

I just picked mine up. They work great for distance and intermediate, even 3-5 feet out; however, they aren't good at all close up and should be. I really need help seeing close up. I am a 3.0 in those reader glasses.

Anyway, if you have progressive lenses, does it seem like the area where you have to look through for seeing close up is extremely small?

Did it take you along time to get used to them? They told me today when I picked them up, to give it two weeks.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2009

I have been wearing progressive lenses for a long time. It has been my experience that the cheaper versions do not work as well. You should be able to see newsprint(for example)from every side when you look down and there should be very slight fuzziness when you move your eyes from close to distant at the spot where the bifocal line would have been. I knew immediately that the cheaper pair wasn't correct and I took them right back and went for a better pair somewhere else. (It was at one of those drop in eye place where I got the worst lenses. The optomotrist (sp?)always gave me good ones. Since this is your first pair, I guess you could follow their advice. I do remember when I got my first pair, they worked almost immediately.

4. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 15, 2009

Oh I did not get a cheap pair. -Believe me! I was just comparing my prescription with that of the drugstore type.

Since these are progressive trifocals, the near vision is a narrower strip than what would be on a bifocal. It just seems like the area isn't wide enough going side to side. I'll see how it goes tomorrow and then call them Friday I guess.

5. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jul 15, 2009

I have had them for a few years. It took about a month to get use to where you have to look to see right. then it just becomes second nature. Mine are only bi so there might be more room for the two places.

6. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jul 15, 2009

I've had mine for over a year. I had a hard time for the first few weeks. From what I recall, the bottom part seemed small to me at the beginning. My doctor offered to replace the lenses with different ones if I didn't adjust after a few weeks. I like them now.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 15, 2009

If your frames are smaller, then your reading part is going to be rather small as well. I have two pairs of progressive lens glasses, and one is larger framed than the other. There is a noticeable difference in where I have to look to see well.

I'd try them for awhile before I made a final decision.

8. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 15, 2009

Thanks ladies:) I will give them a try. I can see wonderfully otherwise.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 15, 2009

You do have to get used to them. You may find yourself moving your head more frequently than you used to. But, after a few days, you should be comfortable. It absolutely does happen that they make them incorrectly. I have had to return a pair or two for them to remake.