Progress reports?

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by Child1, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Child1

Child1 New Member

Jun 14, 2007

Hi,

I was wondering what kind of system people use to report children's progress to parents throughout the year (for Primary- ages 3-6). I'm just collecting ideas right now. I've been using a narrative for a long time and I really believe strongly in the benefits of that format but I wanted to get a sense of what other Montessorians think.

I am new to this forum and am very pleased to have found it! It's nice to be able to connect with Montessori teachers around the country (world?). I think I'm going to have a lot of survey questions like this to ask over the next few weeks!

Thanks!

3. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Jun 14, 2007

We use the narrative reports and we also use the Montessori Made Manageable system. At our end of the year meeting, our administrator discussed the possibility of us each getting our own lap top and using a computer program for students progress.

4. lila

lila Rookie

Jun 25, 2007

The daily anecdotal notes come in very handy

5. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Jun 25, 2007

Different methods

Hi Child1,

I am a Montessori teachers, also located in New York State. Currently, I teach toddler, but have taught 3-6 in the past and also have a daughter in her first her of primary.

I'm also looking for new ways of doing progress reports. Right now, I'm using what I will call a check sheet. Its dividedup into the different developmental areas (language, fine and gross motor,cognitive, social). It is very complete, but is starting to feel a bit inpersonal. What I am thinking is using this "check-sheet" for my own reference, and then using a narrative to talk about the different areas of development for each specific child.

As a 3-6 parent, I also like recieving narratives.I do have knowledgeof all the work in the classroom, but I want read what my child is doing individually.

I think narratives are more personal.

6. Child1

Child1 New Member

Jun 25, 2007

I have never used the Montessori made managable reports although I know about the company. Have you found their format helpful?

I do like checklists for my personal record keeping. I am intrigued by all the new computer based record keeping programs that are coming out now. i was at the AMS conference in NY this spring and there were at least three vendors with some snazzy looking stuff. I hear Montessori Records Xpress has been around the longest and they have a good demo online. M.O.R.E Montessori is coming out with a free version in July and I am excited about trying that one out. I know these programs can generate reports but they take the form of checklists.

7. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Jun 26, 2007

Where in NY do you teach?

8. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Jul 4, 2007

I never heard of M.O.R.E. Montessori. Do you have a web address?