Progress Reports-- grades

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Beezus, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Oct 3, 2008

I need to get my progress reports for next week. I have only taken 1 grade for social studies. Since it is a progress report...am okay to go with what I have?
    While I am thinking about it....what is a good number of grades to have in the gradebook for report cards, anyway? I mean, I have plenty for Reading and Math....but not so many for SS, health, or Science. What do you do in such cases (few grades for those subjects)??

3. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Oct 3, 2008

i get ss grades by doing one map skill activity per week. you could even up that if need be (and yes, we are supposed to teach them). for science and ss, we've been told not to worry too much about them because they are not tested by the state in our school. so we usually have between 5-10 grades each. i really try to get more than that.

good luck
    LC

4. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Oct 3, 2008

My progress reports are due Monday. I have quite a few grades in social studies...but I give a weekly geography (map) assignment. We've also had one test and one vocab quiz already. So that's 7 assignments right there.

Science I have a few less grades. We've done a research project already, they've done two poster activities and we've had a review assignment and a test also. I was told to try to take at least one grade per week in those two subjects.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Oct 3, 2008

Beezus,
    I don't think one grade may be representative of the student. It may, but it also may not. They could have had a really bad day. I think in future, I'd make sure to take one grade per subject per week. But since we don't have way-back machine and can't go back in time, I think I'd look carefully at the grade and how the student performs in class -- and decide for myself if it is representative of that child's work. If there are any low grades, I'd especially do this. As a parent, if my child, who usually makes As and Bs came home with a D or an E equivalent on the progress report, I'd be in the teacher's class the next day to find out why. If I found out the grade was based on one grade, I think I'd be in the principal's office shortly there-after.

Rather than leave myself open to that, I think I'd look at any low grades, and see if they match what I "know" about the child. If the child basically doesn't do well in anything, and has a D in social studies, I'd let it stand. If they student has all As and Bs in everything, and a D in social studies, I would really wonder if maybe he was just having a bad day -- and I might adjust it.

And just so you know -- I've been exactly in your situation. My first full-year teaching, I didn't take ANY social studies grades prior to progress report (we did a long science unit, and we alternate science and social studies. Now I know, always make sure to have some of each before progress reports...) So please don't think I'm judging you -- I'm not. I'm more worried for you about what could happen if a child who usually does really well got a low grade based on only one score. If it were me, I would probably hit the "over-ride" button.....

6. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 3, 2008

I don't know about the younger grades, but I try to have at least 15 grades per class by the end of the grading period. Even this seems low to me though. I do give a fair amount of class participation and group work grades though. I know in the primary grades there is more focus on reading, math, and basic materials than science and social studies, so I don't really know how many you would need to be OK. I think you'd want more than one though (unless everyone did well.) Could you put Health and Science together?

7. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Oct 3, 2008

Thanks, RainStorm! I do not think you are being judgemental at all. I know I've put myself in a precarious situation-- that's why I'm asking. I was wondering about putting in a participation grade. I only have 2 grades that are not up to the usual standard....so it's not too horrible. With the participation grade, they should bump up.
    I have been doing things-- just hadn't taken grades on them. Live and learn! Now I know---- more grades in the grade book!!
    Thanks to everyone for the responses. It helps. I have a friend who did a daily geography activity last year-- I'm going to see if I can get some copies from her.
    If anyone has any further suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them!
    Thanks!

8. teachertexas

teachertexas Rookie

Oct 4, 2008

In my district we are supposed to have two grades per subject per week. Sometimes it is a struggle to get 18 grades by the end of the grading period. Since we switch off science and social studies, that means I need to get a grade practically every day that I teach those subjects. Yuck!

We are also required to have the kids keep journals in each subject. I often grade their journal assignment when I am in need of a quick grade.