Progress report comments

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by REW, Mar 7, 2020.

1. REW

REW Rookie

Mar 7, 2020

I have been in my new class just over a week and progress reports are due. I don’t know much about the students academically to comment (the long term sub covered that part). I just need to write comments and I am not sure what to write. Is this cheesy? “It has been wonderful getting to know your child this week. I look forward to seeing the progress your child makes the remainder of the school year.”

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2020

I know that different report cards are done differently. Ours are online, and we have a set number of responses that can be submitted for comments. You might want to run your suggestion past your admin in this somewhat unique situation. Just a thought . . .

4. Aces

Aces Habitué

Mar 8, 2020

I would double check with your admin, but as far as I’m concerned that’s acceptable. With the software we use, the options are there for “premade” comments, and there’s the option to type your own. Take a look at the grades that are there and see if you can make any inferences from that.

5. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Mar 8, 2020

That sounds fine to me.

6. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2020

It has the advantage that no parent will really blink at it it is a bit flavorless, though; I know if I were a parent I'd appreciate some kind of indication that you actually did know my kid. It could be something small, not a talent or interest or trait like sense of humor or fashion or really anything.

7. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Mar 8, 2020

I think it is fine, but I'd just double check w/ your admin. I was at a school before where you had to say what grade level they were functioning on in math and reading. Also, we needed to tell which grades came from the sped teacher. It would be hard after only 1 week to think of comments for each kid because you are just starting with them.

8. Toby A

Toby A Rookie

Oct 20, 2020

Did the sub provide any information that could be useful?

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 21, 2020

If the parents were paying attention they would know you don't really know the kids yet. I think the part about getting to know them is good but double check with other teachers or admin.