Progress communication to parents

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Rebecca1122, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Jul 14, 2014

What does everyone do in terms of communicating student progress to parents?

Obviously report cards are the biggie, but do you send home any reading assessment, strategies to work on, Etc more often? I am trying to figure out a way to communicate more frequently with my parents about their child's progress, especially in reading. I teach 1st grade so this is the area parents are typically most interested in.

As it stands now my school only sends report cards(standards based) at semester.

3. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 14, 2014

I used to have a classroom blog that let parents know what I was doing each day. I was teaching kindergarten so a lot of times students would forget what we did each day. But I just got a new job in 5th grade and I think I am going to use this new program by Scholastic called Class Messenger. It is a texting messaging app that allows you to contact parents and I even think kids can contact if you if you let them. You can check it out. It seems pretty cool.

http://www.scholastic.com/classmessenger/

4. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Jul 14, 2014

I do have a weekly newsletter where I provide a general overview of what we are working on. But I'd like to send home for individual data for each child so the parents know where their child is working at.

5. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Jul 14, 2014

My district send home progress reports during the fourth week of the grading period. It looks just like the nine week report card. Every Tuesday, redo folders go home with the assessments for the week before and parent sign and return them. I usually write more comments on Tuesday folders than progress reports or report cards.

6. PalmettoTeacher

PalmettoTeacher Rookie

Jul 14, 2014

We have to send interim reports (during the fourth week of the quarter) home to parents to let them know about student progress. We are also required to send home work every two weeks in a Pride Packet. The work in the Pride Packet includes classwork, homework and any assessments. The work is kept and the packet is signed and returned.

7. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Jul 14, 2014

Our school wide policy is to send home weekly progress reports with letter grades in each subject as well as a quick notation for behavior, homework, etc. We also send interim reports and report cards.

8. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 15, 2014

Thanks for this link! I'll definitely check it out!

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2014

I send graded work and school communications in Friday Folders each week. Parents sign off on a form inside the older that they ave seen and reviewed student work.

10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 15, 2014

I send home marked work regularly and make phone calls as necessary - either to celebrate progress or to discuss concerns.

11. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 15, 2014

First grade parents are intense and need a lot of reassurance that everything is OKAY. I send home a monthly newsletter about what is going on in the classroom and regularly stress to parents NOT TO PANIC about their child's progress. If I have concerns, they know about them! Encourage parents to contact you with questions and concerns, too. Let them know you are available to discuss their child's progress, and then make sure you are on top of assessments and can accurately share about their child's strengths, weaknesses and next steps.

12. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 15, 2014

We send home progress reports half way through the quarter. I also write notes on work. We also have a daily behavior report that goes home. If I have a concern I let the parent know that I need to speak with them & we schedule a conference or phone call.

13. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2014

I do a monthly newsletter. I give a little report of what we're doing in each subject. If there are any recent assessment in the subject it would be on the newsletter.

So for example in September it might have their reading level and their baseline math and writing scores. In October it would probably have the Unit 1 math test, their first writing piece scores and probably their first ELA test simulation scores.

It doesn't take very long because the newsletters are generic, then I just fill in their grades quickly or ask my para to do it.

14. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Jul 15, 2014

You hit the nail on the head! This has typically been my approach however now our K-1 team has parent saying that the 'no news, is good news' style just doesn't work for them. Which leads me to figuring out something more formal to send home other than just their classroom work. I also teach at a private school so parents are more high maintenance in general.

For those of you that do progress reports halfway through a quarter, do all of you do letter grades? When I taught middle school and has actual letter grades, this was very easy to do. Now, our report cards are standards based so they have every single standard/skill listed. It takes a looong time to assess and prepare those report cards so I can't imagine doing it every four week. Not to mention we do them by hand because the district can't get our online grading program to mesh well with standards based :dizzy:

I found a guided reading snapshot that I may send home every 4-6 weeks that details the student's abilities in key reading areas as well as goals to work toward.

15. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 15, 2014

Is there a way to specifically address the parents that want more info? Are ALL the parents requesting more? I find that parents that need that kind of communication ask for it and then I am happy to meet with them or send home a progress note. That way you don't have to do it for each family. I had 1 family that wanted constant communication last year so every month I wrote a progress note and sent it home in the child's home/school journal. This satisfied their need.

16. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 15, 2014

Could you create a monthly checklist to send home? I.e. This month in math your child should have mastered.... and then check off the outcomes? I guess you would still have to support the checklist with comments on areas the child hasn't mastered, thus creating another version of your report card... and a lot of work. Hmmm... I'll keep thinking!

17. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 16, 2014

Our report cards/progress reports are generated through our grade book. We just have to put in comments. Parents have access to this after the first progress report. I will put a comment in for a low grade. Some parents set it up that they will get an email every time you input a grade.

I don't know how this will change as they are changing to a standards based report card.

18. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Jul 16, 2014

This is along the lines of what I was thinking. Here's the reading snapshot I found. This wouldn't take too terribly long to fill out...
    http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Guided-Reading-Snapshot-Assessment-244331

But I haven't seen anything like that for math. However math is more straightforward, the parents can see by the work that comes home if their child is getting the concept or not. And I usually write 'please review at home' on a worksheet if there is something they are really struggling on.

19. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 16, 2014

I like the reading snapshot. I may include one of those each month in their portfolios. You could quickly fill those out during guided reading, too and it wouldn't take too much time.