Programs like Teach for America that aren't?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heyitssteph, Dec 17, 2014.

1. heyitssteph

heyitssteph Rookie

Dec 17, 2014

Hey, does anyone know if there are any programs out there that are similar to Teach for America either in the US or abroad? I am currently getting my masters in elementary education and I feel that options for brand new teachers are very limited. I am just curious if there are any opportunities similar to TFA/Americorps either here in the US or abroad.

For the record, I'm not really interested in the political side of education or education reform - more power to those who are, but I just want to be a teacher. Alternative certification programs probably wouldn't work since I will already have my teaching certificate. I just want to gain work and life experience and think a change of scenery for a year might be something to consider. Does anyone have any ideas?

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Dec 17, 2014

Since these programs are typically for non-licensed people interested in teaching, I am not sure why you would want to find a program like this. What specifically is behind your motivation to join a teaching program? Are you worried you won't be able to find a job otherwise?

For the most part, these programs are in places that really need teachers. So if you want to teach in a city that has a Teach for America program, and you are a licensed teacher, it should not be too difficult to be hired by the district. Of course, there may be some exceptions, but this is definitely true where I live.

4. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Dec 17, 2014

Also, if you are wanting a new and different experience, I still support just applying for a job in another area. That's how I ended up where I am, and there are several cities that really need teachers - New Orleans, DC, Las Vegas... I say that as someone who also did a year of AmeriCorps. Several schools abroad also clamor to hire certified teachers for good pay, especially in Asia and the Middle East, but that requires major life changes.

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 17, 2014

My friend did something called Citiyear. I think it's more of a thing where you volunteer in a classroom though and aren't the actual teacher.

6. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Dec 17, 2014

My district has its own TFA-type program for career-changers who are not licensed called the Baltimore City Teacher Residency. You earn a state license (of course) but have to teach in Baltimore for the first 3 years.

7. heyitssteph

heyitssteph Rookie

Dec 17, 2014

To answer your question....yes. I am very worried about finding a job next year and honestly I don't know how many districts provide training for new teachers. I have been subbing on my days off from school and I rarely see young teachers. I highly doubt any suburban district around the city where I live would hire a brand new teacher with no experience. So I don't know exactly where I'd like to start out and pay my dues for a few years.

8. heyitssteph

heyitssteph Rookie

Dec 17, 2014

Thanks. I'm from the Chicago area and as far as I know it's hard to find any districts that are in desperate need of teachers. I'd like to stay in Chicago long term but I wouldn't mind a change of scenery for a year or so.

9. bekkilyn

bekkilyn Rookie

Dec 17, 2014

Peace Corps could be an option.

But if you really think about it, you are spending time and energy worrying about something that hasn't even happened and may never happen. As a new teacher, you won't cost as much, so you may have no trouble whatsoever finding a position somewhere.

10. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 17, 2014

If you're willing to relocate (and possibly to live a decent distance away from your job) try Northern Virginia. Jobs basically grow on trees here.

11. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Dec 17, 2014

Fairfax County (Northern Virginia) already has some postings up for next school year. I just noticed that today.

12. heyitssteph

heyitssteph Rookie

Dec 17, 2014

How's the pay? Usually when there are "jobs growing on trees" somewhere there is a catch...Virginia is pretty, though.

13. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 18, 2014

http://www.fcps.edu/hr/salary/pdf/fy15/FY15Nov194dayTeacher.pdf

This is commensurate with the salary scales in nearby counties. The cost of living is high in Fairfax County itself (and doesn't get any better in Arlington, Alexandria or Loudoun County). The COL starts dropping dramatically south of Fairfax County though. If you're willing to live in Prince William or Stafford County and teach in Fairfax, you'll make a good living.

EDIT: The reason for the high turnover is largely the military factor. There's a lot of military spouses in Fairfax and other counties. Working conditions themselves are better here than in a lot of other places. It's also just such a large district that there are always going to be a lot of jobs, and not a ton of colleges churning out graduates. I can't speak for other counties, but Fairfax helps teachers get Virginia certification if you come from out-of-state. It wouldn't surprise me if, at the very least, Loudoun and Prince William Counties did the same.