Proficiency-based grading platform

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Brian Wightman, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Brian Wightman

Brian Wightman New Member

Oct 19, 2020

I teach at a very small alternative school (total student count about 27). We're looking for a database platform to manage our new proficiency-based grading system. Does any have a system that they like that would work on such a small scale? I looked at Mastery Transcript Consortium, but they have no provision for recognizing student progress toward achievement, which is critical for our easily-frustrated student body.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 19, 2020

My school is switching to Illuminate in the near future. It looks pretty interesting, but I'm still awaiting training on it. https://www.illuminateed.com/ if you want to give it a look.

4. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Oct 20, 2020

Our district uses 1 too, but has the same problem. There is no way to show a kid is progressing. Some of the standards are written so broadly w/ so many skills attached that to master them, it'd take all year. In the meantime, the only way to show progress is by commenting what parts they know and are working on at the time. It doesn't allow you to show if they are working above or below grade level skills either. This is extremely problematic for sped kids, working on lower grade levels. They end up w/ straight zeroes.