Professionalism in education (question)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jefferey15, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Jefferey15

Jefferey15 Guest

Jul 16, 2016

Hi all,

I'm student teaching this semester....first time ever in a serious job or educational setting.

I was hoping for any advice or tips, do's do not's regarding the topic of being professional in an educational setting.

Any insight would be outstanding.

Thanks

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 16, 2016

a good piece of advice that I received was to be "one step better" than my partnership teacher. That meant getting to school before her and staying late afterward. Even if I had to wait to be let into the classroom because it was locked. To dress a bit better. To attend every meeting I was invited to, even if she chose to miss some. To have paperwork ready for submission before she had her portion done. To call people by their last name until told otherwise, by them.

4. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 16, 2016

I heard one key thing: be so active and visible they can't forget you.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jul 16, 2016

I agree with 2ndTimeAround, but also, stay away from the "negative Nellies." Don't hang out in the teacher's lounge IF it is a place for negative talk and gossip (each school has a different environment.)

Also, never say anything about anyone that you wouldn't say outloud in front of an audience. It is so easy to make a quick judgement statement "just between two" and then it gets around.

And most of all, have a great time with your student teaching, because positive, happy people (who are hard workers) make the best impressions.

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 17, 2016

Lots of good advice above!

Be flexible.
    Be on time and leave good plans so that if you are sick or have a flat tire your cooperating teacher has plans.
    Be open-minded; you'll learn a lot in the classroom that you didn't learn in college.
    Volunteer for something for the school.
    Don't talk with parents without your cooperating teacher knowing.
    Keep a change of clothes in your car (came in handy for me when a student projectile vomited )!
    Try to observe other grade levels.
    Have fun!!

7. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Jul 17, 2016

Always dress professionally, even if the rest of the staff dresses more casually.
    Accept constructive criticism. Don't worry about being perfect and avoid being defensive.
    Prepare all materials for your lessons at least a day in advance! The copy machine may be down, you might be running late, don't wait for the morning of to prepare!

mckbearcat48 likes this.
  8. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 17, 2016

Use Friday afternoon to prepare for the following week. That hour on Friday is worth several the following week :)

2ndTimeAround likes this.
  9. Tulipteacher

Tulipteacher Companion

Jul 17, 2016

Lock down your social media accounts. Change your settings to private. Delete any references on your accounts (written by you or not) to partying, drinking, smoking, drugs. Do not post anything on social media about student teaching, not even something positive. No stories about students, even cute stories.

I don't think you should show up earlier than your cooperating teacher, as another poster stated. As a CT that would stress me out and I would feel like I needed to show up earlier so that you wouldn't be waiting for me.

Dress nicely. If the school has jeans day on Fridays probably don't do it, unless your CT says you should several times.