Professional Summer Reading list?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by pwhatley, Apr 23, 2013.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Apr 23, 2013

I just ordered (at least part of) my summer reading list. I may be departmentalized & only teaching ELA in 3rd, 4th, or 5th next year, so I didn't order anything for Math instruction. I also didn't order anything grade specific, because my P hasn't told us our assignments for next year yet. Anyway, here is my list (so far) for professional reading:

• The Common Core: Teaching K-5 Students to Meet the Reading Standards
      [*]The Common Core Writing Book, K-5: Lessons for a Range of Tasks, Purposes, and Audiences
      [*]The Common Core Lesson Book, K-5: Working with Increasingly Complex Literature, Informational Text, and Foundational Reading Skills
      [*]Common Core Curriculum Maps in English Language Arts, Grades K-5
      [*]Teaching with Text Sets
      (thanks to a post on here :) )

What's on your list? Have any suggestions? I'll probably re-read Harry Wong's book (except the part about clothing - I don't know any elementary teacher who wears hose & heels on a regular basis!).:whistle:

Don't ask about my personal, nonprofessional list - it'll probably end up 50 books long!

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Apr 24, 2013

Is anyone reading professional literature this summer?

4. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Apr 24, 2013

I was flipping through the magazine "NSTA Recommends" today...lots of tempting choices. I'm drawn to the books about science literacy and assessment.

5. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Apr 24, 2013

Anything about common core...will probably look up the ones you mentioned, pwhatley.

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 24, 2013

As I am moving from 4th to 2nd (by choice!), I will be rereading some Debbie Miller and others who specialize in primary.

I can't really get involved, though, until testing is over.

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2013

I'm trying to figure out what I want to read...I especially want to look at reading stuff to help me plan units of study.

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Apr 25, 2013

I think I'm gonna add something about rubric creation/use for assessment. I think it could help my kids (and parents) understand the standards a bit more. Any suggested materials?

9. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Apr 25, 2013

I'm interested to hear what you guys think are essential reads for a high school teacher.(history or any content specific) To be honest I got my fill of books about teaching in college, but I wouldn't exactly call that stimulating reads. I'm reading a few books about educational technology right now(for masters course) and its the most jargon filled stuff I've ever read. I'm taking the semester off this summer to prepare for my first year teaching. Any and all suggestions welcome. :)

I'm interested more in assessment/planning/ect.

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Apr 26, 2013

Today, I received Teaching with Text Sets and Words Their Way from Amazon - my "summer homework" stack is piling up! lol

11. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 26, 2013

Oh I have way too many things...

Books I already have and haven't read yet:
    - Math Work Stations (Debbie Diller)
    - Daily 5 (reread) and CAFE (trying to see if I can make it work next year even with using the Treasures curriculum)
    - Explicit Direct Instruction (my school uses this)
    - No More I'm Done
    - The Morning Meeting Book (responsive classroom)
    - Kagan Cooperative Learning (just attended the 2 day workshop and I am HOOKED!)

I also have a very lengthy Amazon wishlist that is centered on guided reading and small group math instruction mostly.
    Here's a small sampling of what it includes (I'm still trying to figure out what to order from it!):

Number Sense Routines: Building Numerical Literacy Every Day in Grades K-3

Math Exchanges: Guiding Young Mathematicians in Small Group Meetings

Teaching Reading in Small Groups: Differentiated Instruction for Building Strategic, Independent Readers

The Next Step in Guided Reading: Focused Assessments and Targeted Lessons for Helping Every Student Become a Better Reader

Yeah, I doubt I can read all the books I want to this summer. :lol: But I am going into my 2nd year and I just have SO MUCH I want to change and get better at!

And in my spare time, I will be printing up small group sets of Reading A to Z books and compiling those. Oh, and moving to a brand new classroom in a new building! :lol: Busy summer...!!

12. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2013

How Children Succeed

13. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Apr 27, 2013

yellowdaisies - the only reason I don't have any math books listed is because I don't know that I will be teaching it next year, lol - my P is considering departmentalizing our school from 3rd-5th, and I may be moved to a higher grade than my current post in 1st. I already have several of the books you mentioned - they are all great! I love to see what other people are reading - I've "discovered" great books that way!

14. alioxenfree

alioxenfree Rookie

Apr 27, 2013

Summer Reading

I'll be rereading my old standbys-
    Strategies That Work
    Guiding Readers and Writers
    The Power of Our Words
    Teaching Children to Care

I'm also going to read Embedded Formative Assessment and Total Participation Techniques, which I already own.

I also want to get my hands on Explicit Instruction by Anita Archer.

I might be switching grade levels. If so, I'm sure I'll be reading a few more!

15. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Apr 27, 2013

I have a few on my kindle that I haven't read yet or want to re-read.

-The Next Step in Guided Reading by Jan Richardson
    -Reading with Meaning by Debbie Miller
    -Daily 5 (reread)
    -Literacy Work Stations: Making Centers work by Debbie Diller

I've added several of the books already listed to my amazon wishlist. There is so much to read and not enough time!

16. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Apr 28, 2013

32 Third Graders and One Class Bunny
    It's not a professional book but I did learn lots from it!

17. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Apr 28, 2013

I second that, Rabbitt--it does the best job of anything I've ever read of capturing the true ups and downs of being an elementary teacher, while still being positive and uplifting. I can't remember ever laughing so hard while reading a book! There's a second one by the same author--"Close Encounters of the Third-Grade Kind."

18. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Apr 28, 2013

My personal favorite!!!

19. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 28, 2013

Which ones have you read? I'm really not happy with my math instruction this year and I'm looking to beef it up for next year. We use Saxon math, and that was a BIG switch for me and very difficult to get used to. I really need to supplement it a lot because many topics are not covered in enough depth for my students to master them, so I want to become very purposeful about small group instruction.

I'd be interested to hear your recommendations because I definitely don't think I'll have time to read all the ones I want to!!! :rolleyes:

My favorite too! I own it....maybe I'll pull it out and read it again. :)

20. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 28, 2013

How does the Text Sets book look? I'm still debating that one...

21. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 28, 2013

That is on my list, too! I purchased it in November, and have been using bits and pieces to plan guided reading, but I really want to read it cover-to-cover.

22. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Apr 28, 2013

I'm looking for anything related to Special Ed.