Professional Standards

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Beth2004, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 24, 2010

I posted a question about this a few weeks ago and now I've got another one....

I'm working on my portfolio for my M.Ed. program and I need to show evidence of meeting the professional standards. I'm working on the third standard and I'm totally stumped. The standard is: Manages Classroom Climate and Operation: Manages classroom routines and procedures without loss of significant instructional time.

I have a ton of research that I can use to write the introduction and describe why it's important to meet that standard as a teacher, but how do I provide evidence in my portfolio that I'm meeting that standard in my classroom? Any ideas?

3. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Oct 24, 2010

Maybe think about some of your transitions and some of the educational learning moments you get to incorporate during those times- like bathroom breaks in K we do the alphabet and letter sounds and other important educational like games. While friends are waiting at carpet we may start with a quick color game before we start our carpet routine if not everyone is ready for whatever reason.
    Hmm, I guess that is not actual evidence though. Hmm

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2010

Can you incorporate photos in the report?

Ask kids what they are learning during X time and record their comments.

Do an observation and record how many kids are on task or whatever behavior you are observing.

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 24, 2010

I think we can use photos as evidence. I'm thinking of taking photos of some of the posters I have in my room (the morning routine checklist, for example) and describing how those help students to manage their own behavior without me having to tell them what to do.

In my introduction I'm discussing how having those routines in place allows me to differentiate instruction and focus on individuals and small groups of students. I really don't know how to show evidence of that, though. Maybe including a lesson plan that describes how the instruction is differentiated, what each group is doing, etc?

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2010

Can you use a stopwatch to monitor the time that transitions take, and give data from a week?

7. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 24, 2010

I'd include a list of my classroom rules/procedures. If you spend time in the beginning of the semester to explain and walk students through the procedures, I'd mention that too.

As far as your differientiated portion of it - I have no idea but I would love to see what you end up doing. Differentiation is a hard one for me.