professional references for substituting

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by JackTrader, Feb 15, 2011.

1. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Feb 15, 2011

I am applying for a staff job at a local community college - program coordination and planning for student services. I am currently in the sub pool at 3 districts - 2 of them I applied directly through the district, 1 of them is managed by Kelly Ed Staffing for assignments.

I would like to put down my sub experience on the job application because it is relevant to the position and it would help. However, I do have a question with what person to put down as a "supervisor" - who would be contacted later on as a reference check. By default, this would be the substitute coordinator at the districts (who took my application) in HR. It could be the Kelly substitute coordinator or one contact (the Principal's secretary) at a high school who handles all the subs (hands out the keys, instructions, etc.).

But I'm wondering if this would be appropriate, since these individuals don't really have much first hand knowledge of my classroom work. Asking the teachers who I've subbed for is also problematic, because the nature of sub teaching, at least IME, means that you really don't get to work with a few teachers on a substained and repeat basis.

Has anyone here run into this issue, and have dealt with getting professional references based on substituting on a effective way? Any feedback will be welcome, thanks!

3. asianbeauty

asianbeauty Rookie

Feb 15, 2011

Ask the principal at the school where you sub the most, who has had the chance to observe your work.

4. loop

loop Rookie

Mar 2, 2011

I have reference from two teachers for whom I have subbed a lot. Actually, I worked as a long term sub aide in a 2nd grade class, after which I joined the sub pool. I requested the teacher if I could put her name down as a referee & she happily agreed. I also asked the Resource teacher who used to come to the classroom often & he too didn't have problem being my referee. I told all the teachers in that school that I was going to join the sub teacher pool & I gave them my cell number & told them I am available to sub for them any time! Now I have quite a few teachers who are ready to give references!

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 2, 2011

When I was applying for teaching work, my references were the principal at the school where I subbed the most as well as the three teachers who knew my work best. The main thing is to ask for permission first so they know to expect a call and they can remember who you are when that call comes (if you're one of a ton of subs, you may stand out in a crowd by face but not always by name).