Professional Reads/Advice for K teacher?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by luludc, Jun 26, 2009.

1. luludc

luludc Rookie

Jun 26, 2009

So...my P told me I will probably be teaching Kindergarten next year. I've taught second grade and first grade but I'm a little nervous about teaching K. Any good professional reads you could recommend for me to look at over the summer? In first grade class I've been following the Daily 5, and I use The First Six Weeks of School to start the year off, but any other suggestions would be welcome.

Another concern, and maybe I should start another topic, but do you K teachers give homework? I don't really believe in giving homework to Kindergartners, and from my understanding the research doesn't support it. Even with my first graders, I did not give out much, just a math problem a night plus a few spelling words. However, the other K teacher at my school is a big fan of sending home a lot of worksheets. I don't plan to do that, but I'm afraid I will have to justify to parents and/or administration why I'm not assigning boatloads of work for 5 and 6 year olds...any advice would be welcome!

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jun 26, 2009

4. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jun 26, 2009

I'm also moving to K in the fall and looking for professional books specific to K... I'm finding that most that say K-3, or K-5, or K-whatever or more REALLY 1-3, etc. I know K is a totally different animal and these books don't really address it.

5. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2009

I just read Concious Discipline. It was a really, really good read about how to handle behavior. And how to make behavior issues a learning experience that kids actually learn from and feel good about themselves at the same time.

6. NewGirl23

NewGirl23 Rookie

Jun 27, 2009

I bought two books specifically for Kindergarten that were wonderful to me. They are:

The New Kindergarten-Teaching Reading, Writing and more
    it is written by Constance Leuenberger and published by Scholastic...ISBN 0-439-28836-3

Classroom Routines that really work for PreK and Kindergarten written by Kathleen Hayes and Renee Creange pub;ished by scholastic....ISBN 0-590-02927-2

These books are easy reads and contain pictures that help clarify any questions you might have.

Also, the only homework I give is one story a week. The students simply have to read it with a parent, the parent has to sign off that it was read, and they return it before the next week. I typically don't stat sending these home until October. At the end of the day they are still kids....there will be plenty of time for homework later in life.

7. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 27, 2009

I don't have any advice but I just had to say how jealous I am of you. I would love to teach kindergarten. It's a very hard field to get in to here though. The folks that have sped K-3 self-contained classrooms usually don't leave. They stay for a looong time. Anyway, enjoy your little ones. :)

8. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2009

Yes, Conscious Classroom Discipline is great! I would also get some books on teaching writing such as those for Emergent Writers and Writing Mini-Lessons. Best wishes!

9. Lilly4

Lilly4 Rookie

Jul 2, 2009

As far as homework, my kindergartners LOVE it and as long as it's quick, fun, and applicable parents love it too. I even asked my parents if they feel the homework is too much and everyone said NO! Many said their kids want more. :rolleyes:
    This is what I do:
    *A poem book comes home once a week for the kids to read their weekly poem
    *Leveled books come home twice a week for kids to read to their parent- they already read with a volunteer at school.
    *A math activity once a week in a math notebook
    As long as it's not just busy work, it's great for kids to practice and even "show off" to their parents what they know and for parents to slowly get used to the routine of homework.