professional portfolio

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by shannon1023, Jan 3, 2006.

1. shannon1023

shannon1023 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006

Hi! I just graduated from college (I'm talking about 2 weeks ago) and now realize that I have to get out there and find a job. Since it's January I'm only looking to sub for awhile, but I know that my portfolio is still just as important. However, during my 4 years of schooling I NEVER had a professor discuss a portfolio. So my question is....what exactly should I put it in? How should I set it up? What are schools looking for the most? I never thought this would be so difficult...any help you can give is appreciated!

3. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jan 3, 2006

Congratulations! I just graduated two weeks ago as well! All along we had to add things to our eportfolio, and we ended up with a TON of stuff in there. My last semester my professor told us to make a new one (all that work for nothing!) with just a few artifacts in it. I added a few more things myself.

1) Home page with introductory statement. (Can include picture and a quote)
    2) Cover letter, Resume, References
    3) Introductory letters: one to parents, one to students
    4) Teaching Philosophy
    5) Lesson plans (Reading, Writing, Math, Science)
    6) Action Research Summary and Power Point
    7) Classroom Management Plan, Classroom Layout

All my professor told us to put in there was the the home page with picture and quote, cover letter, resume, references, teaching philosophy, one lesson plan, and the action research project. I added those other things though to make it more personal.

If you want to see my eportfolio I can send you the link.

4. shannon1023

shannon1023 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006

Thanks! I'd love to see it if you wouldn't mind. Every little bit of advice helps!

5. georgiateacher

georgiateacher Rookie

Jan 3, 2006

portfolio

I am in my second year of teaching so the portfolio thing is still pretty fresh in my mind. In my portfolio I put a copy of my diploma, a copy of my state teaching certification, my resume, my picture, my teaching philosophy, and any other certificates or education awards, I believe I also included the FBI fingerprint report that I had done when I started substituting.
    I also placed copies of everything in case during an interview they wanted a copy. THis came in very handy expecially the teaching philosopy, resume and the certification.
    I hope this helps. I know that you will find just the right job that GOd has waiting for you.

6. bjboothman

bjboothman Rookie

Mar 7, 2006

ePortfolio?

Dear Miss Kirby - I am just about to start the job hunt/interview process in the next month or so - could you possibly send me the link as well (joy81499@hotmail.com). I would really appreciate it.

Thanks so much.
    Joyce

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 7, 2006

If you do a search at the top of the page for Teaching Portfolio, you'll get a LOT of ideas from past posts. This is an issue that seems to come up a lot, especially this time of year. ;)

8. Nichole1

Nichole1 New Member

Jun 18, 2006

Miss Kirby, I would also like to see your portfolio! Could you please send me th link at nichole1@neo.rr.com. Thank you so much!! :)

9. CyFair

CyFair Rookie

Jun 18, 2006

Yikes -- I haven't thought much about putting together a portfolio. I don't remember anyone doing this when I taught a few years ago. Do you suppose it would be a good idea to include copies of the principal's evaluations forms in my portfolio?

And what about teaching philosophy? How are you guys describing your teaching philosophy? I don't know what to say here.

10. VegasLibra

VegasLibra Companion

Jun 18, 2006

I had sections in mine about all of the things mentioned above plus one for assessment, one for differentiated instruction, cultural diversity

11. astewart

astewart Rookie

Jun 22, 2006

I created a portfolio a couple months ago that seems to work well - although few people actually care about looking at it!

The sections are:
    1) Resume
    2) Philosophy of education
    3) Student teaching reflection

Then I get into lesson plans - I am applying for the whole range of grades (K-8), so I included two lessons per subject, trying to hit a variety of grades:
    4) Language arts
    5) Math
    6) Science
    7) Social studies

Then, I have other areas, so they are:
    8) Classroom management
    9) Summary of thesis research (for my M.A.)
    10) Transcripts
    11) Copy of certificate
    12) Letters of reference and typed page with contact info for my references

I hope this is helpful! :)

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2006

For what it's worth, as an older teacher returning to the job market, I had no portfolio and no problem.