Professional Organizations

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mstnteacherlady, Jul 12, 2008.

1. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 12, 2008

I am interested to know what professional organizations people are a part of outside of the teacher union / association. Are you a part of the IRA, ASCD, ISTE, etc? There are several that I'd like to be a part of, but don't know if I can afford the dues for each of them each time they come around. What organizations have you joined?

3. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 12, 2008

I've been part of IRA through CRA (California Reading Association) and my local reading council. I was even on the local board. Unfortunately, I withdrew my position due to a clash of philosophies. If you find one that matches an interest or passion, go for it. Make sure that the benefits you'll receive are worth the cost of the dues. I would also try and find a local chapter to join, rather than the national chapter. I loved my local council - until I sat on the board of directors! I participated in a ton of community events and had a lot of fun doing it!

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2008

NCTE and CATE (the CA English teacher affiliate).

5. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jul 12, 2008

IRA and NEA

6. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2008

I belong to Illinois Association of Teachers of English, ASCD, Illinois Reading Council, and Illinois Association for Gifted Children. I have been a member of NCTE and IRA at various points.

7. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 12, 2008

I'm a Naeyc member and then automatically become a Caeyc member - Caeyc is the local "Chicago area" sector of the National Association for the Education of Young Children. I get a monthly magazine and six new books about ECE a year. I just joined last October and will probably renew- but not till closer till the fall since I'm spending to much money now with this summer off business.

8. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 12, 2008

NAEYC, DCAEYC, VAECE, ASCD, CCIE. There are a few more I want to join, but not until I'm making some more money! :)

9. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jul 12, 2008

I have them take my NEA dues (and my IRA ones I think) out of may paycheck. They spread them out over a few months so it's not such a huge loss.

10. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 13, 2008

IRA & something else, I'm forgetting the initials right now, it's an early childhood one. I've been a member of NAEYC.

11. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2008

I need to join some. I'm not apart of any. I'll join the union and maybe a math organization next school year.

12. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 13, 2008

I'm part of the NEA and Delta Kappa Gamma (although I just joined, so I'm still learning about it).