Professional Organization

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by jammer0225, Feb 18, 2013.

1. jammer0225

jammer0225 Rookie

Feb 18, 2013

Hi all,

I'm in Texas and want to know if joining a professional organization will boost my resume a bit. I will be a first year teacher. One job application asked if I was a member of a professional organization. Texas seems to have a lot of them, but I would like to join one that is well respected. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

3. RobertTexasMath

RobertTexasMath Rookie

Feb 18, 2013

I think with a lot of these type of questions, it will matter to some principals but not all. I was at a job fair a few years ago. A principal was looking through my resume. He highlighted the line where I stated I was a member of The National Council of Teachers of Mathematics and The Mathematical Association of America. I wasn't hired by him but he did seem to take it into account.
    You likely will have a lot of competition. Professional organizations usually provide professional development opportunities. I believe they will improve you chances but I can not be sure. If money isn't a huge factor I would say you should join at least one.

4. jammer0225

jammer0225 Rookie

Feb 18, 2013

Robert, off topic, but do you feel the job market is improving in Texas? The competition makes me nervous because I'm not able to student teach or sub. When I say first year teacher, I mean brand spanking new teacher with no experience.

5. RobertTexasMath

RobertTexasMath Rookie

Feb 21, 2013

I think this will be a better year than the last two but still not very good. What is your teaching area? Where are you willing to teach?

6. jammer0225

jammer0225 Rookie

Feb 22, 2013

Certification will be in EC-6th, and I'm willing to teach anything n EC-6th that they'll give me within an hour of my house.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 22, 2013

Try to go to a conference. It'll be pricy, but if you have zero experience, you'll need every little extra thing to get noticed.

8. RobertTexasMath

RobertTexasMath Rookie

Feb 23, 2013

I'm secondary. I don't know to much about the job situation for EC-6. I would also consider adding certifications such as Special Education and ESL.