Professional Literacy Books?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by cml88, Jun 13, 2013.

1. cml88

cml88 Companion

Jun 13, 2013

I'm looking for good summer reads that focus on how to do guided reading in the K classroom. Any suggestions? Being a new teacher, I just feel uneasy in this area & I would like to read more about it and learn new techniques.

Also any other books that changed your life with teaching? I'd like to read a few this summer...I've been hearing lots about Teach Like a Pirate...are there any other that are a MUST READ? THANKS!

3. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jun 14, 2013

Centers and guided reading were the one thing that took me the longest to really get going in a way I really liked in my classroom. I honestly don't start my reading groups, typically, until the second semester. Before that I am teaching the structure of center time (which is when I do my groups) and also work on the basics of letters, sounds, phonics, phonemic awareness, etc. to get them ready for reading.

The Daily Five is what saved my life with centers and guided reading. However, it definitely has to be tweaked to fit in a K room. I basically used the structure of it, added a few extra centers to help meet student needs (technology and fine motor), and adjusted the times to fit K.

Another book I really enjoyed was from college and I'm sure has been updated, if not, it's still a good book. Phonics They Use gives a lot of great phonics ideas to get the school year going.