Professional Development

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Tasha, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 13, 2013

How is professional development handled in your district? Do you have to find it and pay for it yourself? Is it provided during school hours? Do you have to attend in the summer?

We are expected to attend 3 things outside of school provided trainings each year. The district holds a variety of trainings over the summer that we can attend for free (but we aren't paid for it). Some of it is provided by district instructional leaders or teachers and some is from outside consultants. While I hate giving up time, most of he time I enjoy it and can apply it to my classroom. Some of my friends are expected to find and attend PD on their own time with no help from the district.

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2013

I am never paid for any training I go to, and for a very long time I had to pay for all of it myself.

I believe in order to be effective, I HAVE to go to professional development and if I have to pay for it myself, I will. I also need it to maintain my teaching license, and love finding new things to go to.

4. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jul 13, 2013

In the past, we've had workshops held throughout the school year that you attend during school hours (with your principal's ok of course) for free. They also have workshops in the summer that district employees can attend for free. They are given by district instructors.

We have a new superintendent who wants to move all of our training "in house" next year, so I have no idea what that will look like.

5. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Jul 13, 2013

My school last year you had to hunt down your own PD. If you found it way in advance then you might be able to get a PO, otherwise you paid for it and could submit it for reimbursement.

My new district offers tons of PD during the year that I can attend. In fact before I had even officially signed my contract they asked if I wanted to attend a conference in Orlando for 3 days. Um yes please.

6. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2013

Our school doesn't offer much in the way of PD they do have some technology stuff during the year and I try to attend these. We also have two comp days in August that is sometimes used for pd. then at in service week we have a couple of days that we do training too. It's not always typical PD, but looking at scores breaking them down but it's counted as pd hours for us. We can go to our region center for pd. the district does pay for it and most of the time you can even get a district car to drive to it. On our campus there are very few that take advantage of going to trainings,even during the summer. I look at the pd schedule several times during the year to see if anything interests me. This year I am part of the math collaborative. I have to do 100 hours of math pd over the next year. When summer is over I will be half way done.

7. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2013

We are offered many opportunities either during the school day or outside of school hours (which we are then paid for.) We're not forced to go to anything (unless its during the day) but we're encouraged. Sometimes teachers are sent to things outside of the school. I've gone to a few where I had to miss a day of work for it. Usually they send a few teachers to TC's workshops over the summer too.

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2013

My district provides a LOT of PD. I really wish they would tone down preschool week, though - four days of PD and only one day in the classroom is not much time to get ready for the kids! Plus, they offer a lot of things throughout the school year... you just have to look up the calendar and see if there's anything you want to attend.

My P used our Title 2 money for PD. I've been able to attend some really awesome out-of-state conferences. And we're an IB/MYP school, so there are various levels of training to attend for that.

Now, endorsement credit hours do count for PD, but you have to hunt those down and pay for them out of pocket.

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 13, 2013

My district tends to provide a lot of PD, especially over the summer. A few things will be provided during the school year, but they rarely last more than one day (still a good "mental health day" :)). We used to get paid for about 1/2 of the summer PDs, but that went out the window between our wonderful governor and our outgoing superintendent who actually bankrupted the district. We have "PD" during school at faculty meetings & such - usually we have to watch a mandatory video (suicide prevention) or it is our P or another teacher redelivering material. As long as they don't read a powerpoint to me, I'm fine!

10. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2013

That's the WORST! Last year, four days of the FLDOE reading PPs to us about the COmmon Core. I almost lost my mind.

11. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 13, 2013

My state requires 60 hours (10 days) of PD each year. My contract is for 190 days, so my 10 PD days are paid. We usually do 6 over the summer, 2 right before students come back, 1 in January (MLKJr day), and 1 in February.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2013

In my previous district, we had to track down our own PDs. Our regional service center had some great ones and they were all free. Our school had money set aside for any PDs that had to be paid for, but again, you had to find them on your own.

It seems like my new district, the director finds PDs for us. I already have a whole list of PDs that she wants us to sign up for!

13. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 13, 2013

We have PD days during the school year too, but they are very generous with the week before school planning time. We have 4 days before school starts and probably a day is taken up with meetings and convocation, but not all at once. We probably spend about a day of that as a team planning for the first week and sharing ideas. We can go to outside things and are allowed $50 a year for that, but usually the principal will cover more than that.

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 13, 2013

We are required to have 24 hours of PD credit each school year. The school schedules it in the summer right before school begins. I usually do things in the summer, too. Most years I have my PD finished before the school starts theirs. I still do the school's PD, though. I either take a stipend for the ones I do on my own or count the hours toward our 30 required non-instructional hours.

I don't pay for any PD myself. I'll find a way to get it paid for through school or I don't go.

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2013

We can find our own PD if we want.

The district does provide some PD opportunities. They are usually offered in one of two ways:
    Option 1: During contract hours, sub provided. There aren't many of these opportunities available due to budget issues.
    Option 2: After contract hours (evenings, weekends, long breaks). If we attend district PD outside of contract hours, we will either get paid a flat hourly rate (either $22 or $33 per hour, depending on the type of PD) or we can earn in-district professional development credits (PDEs). The PDEs don't really count for anything as far as I can tell. They don't work when it comes time to renew our license, move us up the salary schedule, or anything.

16. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2013

My district is really great about pd...we have 4 days built in for pd through the district and we are able to go to workshops and conferences if we find something, many of which they will pay for if we give enough notice. They also provide some workshops over the summer and after school. Our math and literacy coaches do a lot of pd for us. My school recently started doing PLC's too, so we've been adding book studies and PLC meetings.

17. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 13, 2013

Our district-wide PD is really limited. We have a day before school starts, Election Day, and one day in February where division-wide or school-based PD happens. Other than that, each school has a limited PD budget that's at the P's discretion. They do provide access to a website called PD360 where we can watch all the PD videos we want. However, not many people take advantage of that unless its made mandatory by the school's principal.

18. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Jul 13, 2013

My school does a lot of PD. The week before school starts and then we do an early release one day a month for PD. I go to some things on my own throughout the school year.

My state department of ed used to do a social studies conference in the spring that was great. But last year they started doing a huge conference in the summer with big name guest speakers. I have been underwhelmed and wish they would go back to departmental conferences.

I don't go to PD that I have to pay for but there are tons of free workshops to go to. I do pay for one from the state geography alliance. It is $75 for three days (one day for three months) and it is awesome. But last year it was $75 for one day and I did not go.

I've never had a problem asking for a professional day to go to a workshop.

19. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 13, 2013

I am required (by my county) to attend 18 hours of PD per year. I usually end up with 60+! :D

Any time PD is required, we are reimbursed for it, usually $20 an hour. Sometimes we get a slightly larger amount of money for PD. For example, I am taking a 3-day training in a couple weeks and I'll get $300 for it. We do have some online PD we have to do every year (bbp's, confidentiality, etc.) on our own time, but we can technically choose to do it during our contracted hours the couple days we are in school before the kiddos come back.

My county is really good about letting us know when PD is available and all the details about it. We have to acquire 6 hours of college level PD between recertification periods and we have to foot the bill for that, but they make it a little more affordable pretty often- this 3 day training I'll be taking, for example, can be used as college hours if I pay $200 (which means I'll get $100 to keep and get the hours).

Occasionally, some of us will need to attend PD during the school day and the county will provide a sub for us.

20. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2013

My school will provide several on campus PD opportunities throughout the year. They will also pay for a limited number of people to goth different off-campus PD when it's available. In past years (before I was at my school), they even paid for teachers to go to PD in other states-and I live in Hawaii! Since I'm in music, I've asked for reimbursement for a few PD sessions I've gone to. My school always paid, but they were also very cheap because they were for 0.5-1 day classes. I wish there were more opportunities for me, but they rarely come to Hawaii.