Professional Development

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacher36, Mar 7, 2011.

1. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Mar 7, 2011

I was just placed on a professional development committee for my school and charged with finding professional development opportunities for the faculty. I teach in NJ in a private K-8 school. Any ideas where I could find information or how I would go about researching opportunities??? I tried google and didn't really find much. Thanks!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2011

What types of professional development events are you looking for? Vocabulary building, study skills, team-building, ELL strategies? I think if you came up with some specifics, PD would be a little easier to find.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2011

I agree. You might want to send out a survey to the staff asking what they want professional development in. Maybe they would like more instruction in using the curriculum, interventions, RtI, communicating with parents, etc. Pick some hot topics and ask the staff to rate them.

Then look for specific professional development related to the topics staff want more information on.

5. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Mar 7, 2011

We have done Marzano the last two years for PD and it was amazing!

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Mar 7, 2011

If you're interested in working on improving student writing, contact your local Writing Project. In NJ I know there's one at Rutgers, Kean, and Rider.

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 7, 2011

You might want to check with Czacza-her school is big on PD and she's in NJ if I'm not mistaken.

It is hard when you are just googling-I've had that issue myself just trying to find a local conference.

8. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Mar 7, 2011

Thank you for the advice! I will send out a survey, asking for ideas and then I can search for more specific information.

9. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Mar 7, 2011

Thanks KinderCowgirl! I just sent her a PM!!

10. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Mar 7, 2011

Project CRISS was the single most valuable inservice I've ever attended, and many teachers in our (well seasoned) staff felt the same. It completely revitalized us and helped us reach kids with whom we were really struggling. I can't recommend it highly enough. I use some sort of CRISS strategy in every lesson cycle.

I also *really* enjoyed VESTED. It's designed specifically for the needs of ELL/ESL students, so if you have a large population of those students in your school, it would be really beneficial.

11. AndreGreen

AndreGreen Companion

Mar 7, 2011

Im the Professional Development Lead for my school. Definitely send out a survey to the staff asking them what they want Development in.

When you do start with PD Meetings, have each Grade Level or subject area in one room together. So Kindergarten in one room, 1st Grade in other and ESL in another, and so forth. It works better that way with planning.

I hope everything works well.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2011

Just PMd you!;)

13. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Mar 7, 2011

I'd also use available data to guide this decision - student achievement data and any schoolwide behavioral data - see what area are hurting, research available in-service, and use a survey to confirm this need as well as help select specific in-service opportunities (from specific people/companies). Might as well use the data we all collect!

14. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Mar 8, 2011

Fabulous idea! Thanks!