Professional Development Plan

Discussion in 'General Education' started by DigitalDiva25, Aug 6, 2012.

1. DigitalDiva25

DigitalDiva25 Companion

Aug 6, 2012

Do you guys have to create one and turn it in to your administrator?
    If so how often?

3. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2012

Yup, at the beginning of each year. Required by the FLDOE.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2012

Every year.

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 6, 2012

every year we create one. Then do a check halfway through and a final review at the end of the year.

We have specific forms that we use for the PDP.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 6, 2012

Yes. We throw the word "individual" at the beginning of the term so we can call them "ippie-dippies". I'm already pondering one major thing I can do such as create something amazing for my students, one thing I'd like to attempt such as taking a grad school course, and one throwaway such as reading and pondering a book.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2012

Yearly as well. Usually within the first month of school each year.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2012

Ours are submitted in May for the next school year. We used to call them PIPs...Professional Improvement Plans. now they are called PDPs...Professional Development Plans.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2012

Ours are submitted during the last part of the year as well--for the upcoming year. They are called our Annual Learning Plan and are to be tied in to our school plan and cover areas such as professional learning, communication with colleagues, students and home, professionalism, curriculum knowledge and application.

10. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 6, 2012

Yep! We do this at the beginning of each. At the end of each year we talk about the direction we want to take for the following year. Your direction can change over the course of the summer! The beginning of the year includes a plan as well as one administrative formal observation with feedback. It is good to reflect on the year and think about where you want to grow as an educator.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2012

Ours are also called PDPs. We have to have it done the first week of school. It is reviewed in January and at the end of the year.

12. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2012

I miss the "ippie-dippies!" We used them for years... last year it was Marzano, now it's something else :rolleyes:

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 6, 2012

Oh, I keep a Marzano book open in order to have the correct wording when I write the IPDP.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2012

In my district, no, we don't have to do them. They're usually only done when a teacher has received a bad evaluation.

Of course, things might change in the future.

15. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 6, 2012

I can't believe how many have to do an annual one! Ours are once per license renewal cycle. We have to write an initial plan when we receive the license, have it approved by the LPDC, and the superintendent (if seeking reimbursement for classes). When it's time to renew, the plan must be reviewed by LPDC to get their signature on the renewal application. Then, it begins again.

16. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 6, 2012

Yes, we have to do one. All tenured teachers in my district need to establish an annual goal, specific objectives to achieve the goal, action steps that we will take, and anticipated evidence to demonstrate attainment of the goal. We are supposed to collect student work throughout the year that we attach to our final goal reflection in the spring.

Nontenured teachers do not participate in this process since they are on a full observation schedule. (Of course, when I was a new teacher we had to establish goals and do the reflection, too...not sure why they changed that at some point!)

17. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 6, 2012

Nope...I've never even heard of that! In my last school and in this one, we went around and talked about goals we had for the next year in an informal group meeting, and we work with whoever is evaluating to improve things in the classroom throughout the year, but again it's more of an informal thing where I would just ask whatever questions I happen to have about my class/teaching as they come up.

18. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 6, 2012

We do it too-although I don't know what happens if don't complete the goal you say you will. My problem is, I can easily identify something I need to work on, but it doesn't mean I'll be able to find PD on learning more about it.

19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 6, 2012

I honestly don't know how seriously anyone takes the IPDPs once they're approved. There's usually at least one that I take to heart and work on like crazy. The last one became my school club. One of my goals, I think, will be developing some additional support for the club so it goes beyond a once-a-month meeting.

20. DigitalDiva25

DigitalDiva25 Companion

Aug 7, 2012

what kinds of documentation methods you guys usually use?

21. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Aug 7, 2012

Yes, at the beginning of the year. ONe is usually automatically given by admin and we have to come up with one or two more. The documentation I've provided have been test scores, my lesson plans, book blog documentation, course paperwork from any classes I might take.

22. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2012

Nope. I'm pretty surprised at how many people have to do one. Are they required by your district or your state?

23. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 7, 2012

No one told me about this. O_O I generally do a lot of professional development, but I don't really plan it.

24. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2012

This! :)

25. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2012

NJ requires 100 hours of professional development in 5 year cycles. We have to do the PDP as czacza said, but we also have to provide documentation of what we've done to meet our goals for the year.

26. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 7, 2012

Ours are PGPs (Prof. Growth Plan), and are done yearly.