Professional Development perks?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Outdoorz, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Outdoorz

Outdoorz Rookie

Jul 25, 2011

Hello,

I work for a non-profit agency that provides professional development workshops for teachers and other educators. I am leading my first workshop tomorrow and am excited/nervous.

I'm wondering, when you go to a PD workshop what kind of perks do you like, i.e. snacks, giveaways, etc. We provide both, but I had a hard time choosing what type of snacks.

Thanks,

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 25, 2011

Depends. Who's your audience?

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2011

Coffee, sweets like donuts or muffins. Maybe bagels.
    I 'm at a 4 day training this week. We had coffee, tea, dunkin donuts in am. Croissants and fruit at end of day. Water bottles.
    Bags with folders, post its, pens, a notepad. And a raffle at end of day. Wow. Can't wait to see what's in store tomorrow.;)

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2011

Chocolate! The mini versions are great.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 25, 2011

Chocolate's a fine choice, though somewhat more successful/necessary if the clientele's female.

If this is an all-day PD, consider trail mix for the afternoon: participants with the best of intentions may nevertheless have trouble staying focused, and having a snack that can be eaten tiny... grain... by... tiny... grain may help.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2011

Only if the trail mix is in individual cups...I HATE communal bowls...:eek:hmy:

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2011

The BEST PD I've ever attended (both for content and "stuff") had free water & sodas, chocolate on the tables, and Post-its & markers on the tables.

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 26, 2011

Definitely water, and I would say tea (sweet and un) but that's cause I'm in the south and don't drink much soda. Also, it's cheap. I love when there's fresh fruit and granola. Also, little cups of yogurt. In the afternoon, chocolate, trail mix, and granola bars are always popular. I also like when I get a little notepad and a fun pen to write with. I hate when I get a tote bag full of crap I'll never use. (Really? A letter opener?) I do like the fun little highlighters that have different colors and things like that. Honestly, I don't like door prizes because not everyone wins one. I'd rather them put the money into getting something slightly nicer for everyone than a steak dinner for one person, or whatever. I mean, if everyone can win a door prize, then okay.

I always focus more on what I'm learning at a professional development than what I get for free. The worst workshop I ever went to had the best food and things for free, but other than that it was totally disorganized and I learned nothing useful.

10. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 26, 2011

I agree with Celia. The "perks" are nice, but I just want something I can use directly in my classroom and trainer that treats me as a professional.

Having said that, chocolate and water/soda is always good. I also hate the tote bags. I have TONS in my closet in my room, just sitting there, taking up room. I'm a big fan of supplies, though, like pens, pencils, post its, etc. I can always use that!

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2011

Throw the tote bags in your car anduse when you go grocery shopping instead of plastic and paper bags...very green!:)

12. Outdoorz

Outdoorz Rookie

Jul 26, 2011

Thanks all for your input. I went with donuts, muffins and juice for the morning and granola bars and chocolate for the afternoon. We also had water and soda. It seemed to be a hit. The PD itself went really well and we got lots of good comments at the end. We also give the teachers two manuals (one with lessons and one with a lot of additional information) and a start up kit for collecting aquatic macroinvertebrates. We spent the morning in the classroom and the afternoon in the canyon next to the river doing water quality testing. It was awesome and I know the teachers will use the material in their classroom this coming year.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2011

Sounds like an awesome workshop, with or without snacks.:thumb:

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2011

Coffee...refreshments....snacks (I'm not picky) and giveaways...(I actually do like the tote bags).

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 26, 2011

Aquatic macroinvertebrates... ooo, creepy-crawlies! Why didn't you say so? I would so have recommended gummi critters!

16. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 26, 2011

Cza, I actually did start using my tote bags last year for that very purpose! :)

17. Outdoorz

Outdoorz Rookie

Jul 27, 2011

I had never thought of that, what a great idea! We have two more workshops next month. I'll have to do that.